Chapter 17: A Drop of Love in the Ocean Of Hopelessness

|Andrew|

    “Would you like a brand new collar, sir?” the man with greasy bald head and oily rimmed glasses grinned at me. “Since she’s a lovely girl, I assume you would like this one.”

    He showed me a white collar decorated with pink polka dots. I nodded and looked sideways to see if anybody familiar was near. They couldn’t see me like this—at least not in this lifetime.

    “Sir,” the man nudged me with the collar, “Are you okay?”

   “Ahem,” I cleared my throat. “How much?”

   “Including the girl?” he glanced at the “girl” behind him while I nodded. “Seven hundred dollars and two cents.”

    “What?!” I almost exploded in fury. I was paying a mine—a fortune!

    “I said seven—“

    “Yeah, yeah, yeah, I heard ya,” my teeth were grinding against each other as I took my wallet out and prepared myself to write the check of my life. “Can I return her if something goes wrong?”

    “Nope, sir. I’m sure you’ll have the best time of your life with her,” he continued to beam his sickening smile.

    With a stiffed groan I handed him the check with my savings while his smile widened. “What’s her name now?” he asked.

    “Does it matter?” I retorted, obviously irritated. “Can you give me a bow?”

    “Three dollars for that attitude and five dollars for the ‘free’ bow,” he mimicked my posture sneeringly.

    “Forget it,” I waved my hand like it didn’t matter.

    “Is it for your mom? Or the girl you have that black eye for?” he persisted in butting his jagged nose in my business.

    “What black eye?” Instinctively, my neck curved forward, blocking my covered eyes and cheeks to him.

  “I wasn’t born yesterday, son. I know you’re hiding a black and sore eye behind those sunglasses. Besides, it’s raining outside—who in earth will wear sunglasses? Only a young boy who’s hiding a black eye.”

   I looked outside the shop window and saw the pouring rain, then back at the smirking old man. “I admit it. I was in a fight, happy?”

   “‘Does-it-matter’ is being washed and prepared so you can take her home clean. Do you want to talk about it?” he signaled the couch that was behind the counter. “I have coffee and some goodies.”

   “Tempting offer,” I smiled and decided to travel around the counter to sit on the comfortable sofa. “Since you want hear the story, I’m going to warn you that it’ll be long.”

  “Atta’ boy.” He went to the little table that was behind a small hall and drew two cups of hot coffee. “Just my luck! I’m in my break.”

   “Thanks,” I half-smiled as I received the hot cup. “Well, from where should I start?”

  “How about telling me the reason why you’re here?” He inquired between sips.

  “Um, okay. I’m here to buy a puppy because I want to have one—or to give one. I’m still deciding.”

  “Okay,” he said, trying to understand. “And to whom will you give it?”

  “To Butch,” I took a sip and glanced at him. “Okay, let’s name this girl Butch.”