Chapter 20: In Your Deadly Arms

|Riley|

“How do I look?”

I stepped outside of the bathroom and walked to where Skittles was lying on the family room’s floor. She was ‘meditating’ and I could tell she was indeed remembering her night with Tony.

She looked up and shook her head in disapproval, “Nope, that wouldn’t do. Who in the shaky world would go to their first day of work on shorts?”

“Me?” I smiled innocently.

“Sorry, Riley-san, no can do. But don’t worry,” she stood up and postured a superhero pose, “I have a pencil skirt that is perfect for your job.”

“Skirt?” I grunted as I followed her to her messy room.

“When are you going to accept that you’re a girly-butch?” she smiled as she started to rummage through her closet.

I grimaced at the word. “Butch, huh?”

“You know, your love life is one of the most complicated ones that I’ve ever known. But hey, at least there’s plenty of fish in the ocean, right?”

A nod was my dead response. “Can I wear my combat boots?” I skillfully changed the topic.

“Why of course! But if they tell you something, then you’re wearing some heels, missy.” With a dress dangling in her shoulder, she used her hands and tongue to imitate the sound of the heels. “Click, click, click, click,” she clunked her tongue while her nose scrunched up.

“Well, can I wear my varsity jacket?”

“Yes, yes, yes,” she snapped annoyed, “but you have to wear this dress underneath the jacket. Wear some high-knee socks, too. Oh my chu-chu! This is so exciting,” she squeaked.

“Skittles, why are you so happy? Oh, it’s because of Tony?” I sat on her bed and waited for her to choose which dress I have to use.

“I just never had a friend that I could help with outfits and stuff, you know? And yes, Tony has to do with my felicity.” She stretched out a jean dress—which I liked—and urged me to get dressed. “Do you want to hear the story again?”

I shrugged my shoulders, “Oh, man, I can’t wait to hear it for the fiftieth time.”

“Love your sarcasm,” she imitated a French fashion guru or whatever and sat over the bed’s edge. “Well, I was astounded by the way he asked me out, but I loved it. He was rough yet nice and sweet. Although we ate at his father’s pizzeria, he managed to have the restaurant for us. We were alone in the middle of the room with candles everywhere and a beautiful music was surrounding us. It was perfect—“

“Skittles,” I cut her in with a look before I left to change, “Don’t lie to me. If you’re going to narrate your night again, please, tell everything how it is. Because Tony is far from being romantic.”

“A girl can dream, right? Ah, okay, well, he took me to eat pizza at the back of the restaurant. I think he wanted to make it special—and hell, it was. The smell of the garbage and toxic waste was a charmer.”

I started to laugh as I changed and she continued, “And oh, the awkward silence too. But it was a beautiful time, Riley-san. I’ll never forget it.”

“I can’t believe he didn’t say anything,” I said as I came back from the bathroom, “He usually flirts. I think he really has a thing for you.”

“You think?” she sighed adorably while I nodded. “By the way, love it!”

“Thanks,” I smiled as I pulled my hair in a ponytail but she interrupted my moves.