Chapter 7 - Awakening

Darkness.

      That's all there was. No sound. No life. Just numbness. I could sometimes connect with my body to hear and feel but I wasn't in control. I felt cold hands on my face. The feel was foreign to me. I wanted to shrink away from it but I couldn't move.

    I will my eyes to open but they don't budge. "How is she Carlisle?" I hear Paul's familiar voice ask. I had no idea who this Carlisle guy was but he must be a doctor. "She's going to be ok. She has some bumps and bruises but she passed out from the trauma of the situation," Carlisle answered. His voice was musical, almost like wind chimes. It was beautiful. "Thank you," Paul mumbled. I hear shuffling feet as Paul and Carlisle leave but then I hear another sound. The floor creaked beside me and I felt a warm hand touch my arm. I had no clue who this person was but the warmth was intoxicating. I wanted to embrace it. "Jacob, come downstairs and let Danielle sleep," Paul called. So Jacob was here. That fact make my head spin and butterflies erupt in my stomach. I wanted to reach out to him and tell him I was alright. I couldn't. It was like I was paralyzed. The warmth of Jacob's hand left and I immediately missed it as he walked away. Slowly, I slipped back into the darkness alone.

        After some time, my eyes fluttered open. Outside it was dark and the only light was coming from the hallway. The clock next to the bed read 8:30 p.m. I had been out for awhile but the exact amount I did not know. The shock must have hit me hard to keep me unconscience for so long. I carefully swing my legs over the edge of my bed.

      As I walk across the room, I catch a glimpse of myself in my mirror. I looked pale, my eye was a little swollen, and I was wearing an oversized shirt and shorts. I barely recognized the person staring back at me. I open the door and could hear the murmur of voices floating to my ears from down the stairs. I take my time making my way down the stairs. My limbs felt like they weighed a ton and I didn't want to fall. I finally reached the opening to the living room. As I reached it, the room fell completely silent. I scan the room. Everyone from Paul's group was there, even Emily and Kim.

     I look around the living room until I spot Jacob. He looked upset and that made my heart clinch. Our eyes met and suddenly everything from the previous day flooded my mind. Trenton. His attempted rape. The wolves. Seeing Jacob before I blacked out. All the emotions hit my with full force and I couldn't stand it anymore. I crumbled. I slid to my knees as a sudden bombardment of sobs rocked through my body. Paul and Jacob were at my side in an instant as the others moved closer. I curled up and buried my face in Paul's chest. He held me tightly as Jacob placed his hand on my back. "I'm sorry I've been so much trouble. I haven't even been here a week," I manage to get out. "No, it's not your fault. No one knew what Trenton had planned," Paul said trying to sooth me but just hearing Trenton's name produces another wave of sobs. "I should have told you about him and just rode with you Jacob," I spoke through my tears and turn in Paul's arms to look at him. Jacob looked torn on something and looked about ready to cry himself. "It's fine Dani. You are safe now. No one's going to hurt you," he replied rubbing my back. It was calming. I nod my head and wipe some of my falling tears away.

      Paul helped me stand up and sat me on the couch. He and Jacob sat on either side of me while the others sat in chairs and even on the floor around me. "It's like no matter where I go, trouble always finds me. I can't escape it. It's why I moved here. All because of Aaron," I exclaim rubbing my hands together, looking at the floor. The room remained silent and no one said anything. They didn't know about Aaron but I just gave them their window to ask. Paul cleared his throat, breaking the passing moments of silence. "Danielle, I know you had trouble back home but I never knew to what extent. All I know is that for whatever reason you came here and your parents went to Canada. What happened in St. Louis?" Paul asked softly knowing it would be a hard subject to discuss.

       I looked up to see everyone's eyes fixed on me and ready to listen. I took a deep breath and stood. I croosed my arms and walked towards the window. The night sky was clear and serene, opposite of the past night. I was debating back and forth in my mind of whether I should tell them. I didn't want them burdened by my mess. I didn't want to put them in harm's way by telling them but I knew I had to. They'd have to find out eventually."You don't have to tell us if you don't want to," Embry declared, reading my hesitation. I turned smiling at him weakly and shake my head. "No, I need to tell you," I reason facing the group from my spot near the window. I saw Jacob smile encouragingly at me. I take another deep breath before I begin. "It all started in the eigth grade. That's when I met Aaron."