Chapter 15 - Trust Me

It had been a week since the new smell in the woods. Jacob assures me that its nothing and that they haven't run across it again. If it was nothing, then why did they react so strongly? My answer...vampire. I've tried to ask Jacob but he won't say anything about it. Neither will any of the other guys in the pack. I even tried the puppy dog face but they all resisted it. I don't know how but they did. I feel so left out and I hate that feeling. I plan to confront Jake with how I'm feeling because I'm not one to hold anything in, especially from him.

      We were sitting on the couch watching tv at his house. Billy was with some guy named Charlie fishing. Jacob had his arm wrapped around my waist and I was leaning into his chest. His warmth was always a comfort. "Jacob?" I asked leaning up so I could look athim. "Yeah Dani?" he said turning his deep brown eyes on me. I almost melted into him and forgot what I was going to ask but I shook it off. I was on a mission. I take a deep breath before proceeding. "Why won't you guys tell me what happened in the woods?" I question looking down at my hands. Jacob lifted my chin back up to meet his eyes again. "There's nothing to tell Danielle. We haven't caught anything and the smell is practically gone," he replied. "It was a vampire though wasn't it? Do you think it'll come back?" I say, spewing out questions. "Danielle, I want to protect you, so I want to keep you as far out of this world as I can," he exclaimed touching my cheek. This made me angry and it boiled over. "Jacob Black I can't believe you!" I said standing up in front of him. He remained silent but I could see a little shock in his eyes. "Being with you makes me apart of this world. My cousin and friends are all part of this world. I love you and I want to be completely open with you but do you really expect me to when you don't event trust me?" I say feeling worked up, the sting of unshed tears behind my eyes. "I do trust you Dani. I just want to keep you safe," he said standing and grabbing my hips to pull me closer. I could feel his eyes looking for mine but I didn't give in and look. "I'm safe with you Jacob. I don't want to feel left out or out of place when I walk into a room with you guys. There is always anunknown factor betweenus," I exclaim, bowing me head even lower.

      I never meant to accuse him of not trusting me but I had been a little hurt. I could feel the anger slipping away now. "You shouldn't feel that way and I don't want you too. I'm sorry if you have," he spoke pulling me closer. "I'm sorry Jake, I shouldn't have blown up at you like that," I whispered but I knew he heard me. "Don't apologize. I want you to tell me how you feel," he responded placing both hands on either side of my face to pull my eyes to his. I gave him a weak smile before getting on my tiptoes to give him a kiss. He quickly wrapped his arms around my waist and picked me up. I instinctively hooked my legs around his waist and my arms around his snake, pressing our bodies closer together. Our lips molded perfectly together as we kissed. The heat from his bare chest engulfed me as he laid me gently on the couch and hovering his weight over me. His hand slid down the length of my body, making me shiver. I could feel him smile into the kiss. My hands were entwined in his hair, pulling him even closer.

      Suddenly a deafening howl erupted from outside. Jacob shot up quickly leaving me fumbling to sit up. I could see him tense as the howl was heard again. "What is it Jacob?" I ask touching his arm. "Something's wrong. Sam is howling for the rest of the pack," he answered me. Knowing something was wrong wasn't comforting and didn't do anything to slow my already accelerated heartbeat. I didn't want to let go of Jacob's arm. He turned to me. "I have to go but please stay in the house until I come back," he spoke frantically which scared me. What could possibly be wrong? I nod and kiss him before he bolts out the door. I scramble around the house making sure every window is secure and all the doors are locked. I slumped back onto the couch and brought my legs into me. I tried to concentrate on the babble as each show began and ended, signaling the hours ticking by. The longer I went without a word from anyone, the more afraid I was becoming that something happened to one of the guys. I resulted to cleaning the kitchen top to bottom to calm my nerves. I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to any of the guys but especially Jacob and Paul.

      I was scrubbing the floor when someone busted through the front door. Mind you it was locked. I let out a scream and bolted to my feet to get behind the kitchen's island before I turn to see the intruder. My eyes grew wide as they fell on Jacob standing in the door. He had cuts and bruises all over his bare chest and arms. He was on edge and scanned the rooms. I ran to him. "Oh my God Jacob! Are you ok?" I asked hearing my voice rise, looking over him before looking at his face. "I'm fine, they'll heal," he exclaimed still looking around. I took his face in between my hands and made him look at me. His eyes held an uneasiness in them. "What happened?" I ask softly. "There was a vampire...the same one from last week. The Cullens helped us in capturing it," he replied after a moment of hesitation. "Did you....kill it?" I questioned, my voice cracking. Jacob pulled me into him, burying his face into my hair. I squeezed him tight, aware of his injuries. "Not yet. The Cullens wanted to question him to know why he's here. He won't answer any questions though until-"Jacob began but stopped. He started to tremble a little. I pulled back, still remaining in his grip, to look in his eyes again. They were worried and protective. Placing my hand on his cheek seemed to calm him down slightly. "Until what?" I asked as bravely as I could muster, not entirely sure I wanted to know the answer. His eyes bore into mine for a few seconds, placing one of his hands over mine. His silence made me worry more. He took a deep breath before he said, "Until we bring you to him."