Chapter 13 - Job Worries

"Dani...will you please stop poking me?" Jacob said turning his head to look down at me. We had been laying on his bed for the past hour, enjoying each other's company. Truthfully, I did poke him several times but come on, would you not if you knew he could turn into a wolf? It was still dumbfounding to me. "Sorry Jake, just making sure you're a man," I said slightly blushing at being caught yet again. He chuckled and my head, which was on his chest, went up and down with the movement. "You'll get used to the idea in a day or two," he replied. I turned my head so my chin was now on his chest and I could look at his face. Jacob leaned in and gave me a sweet kiss that made me all fuzzy inside. My arms tighten around him as he pulled away.

      "So can I ask you a few questions about it?" I ask, curiosity thick in my voice. His eyes lit up at the fact Iwas interesteed in his other life. "Anything you want," was his easy response. "So I've noticed you guys slink off into the woods and talk all quiet when I'm around sometimes. You guys aren't that sneaky. What do you guys do out in the woods? I mean you must turn into wolves for one reason or another," I state. He seemed to think my question over and how to express what he was going to reveal to me. "Well, we patrol, or run around, the reservation to keep the people protected. We consider it a job," he exclaimed rubbing my back, sending an involuntary shiver up my spine. The word protect stuck out from what he had said. What would the people of La Push need protection from? They couldn't really mean robbers or other criminals like that and they've kept this secret pretty well so they can't run through town protecting homes and stores. It was defiinitely more then that and I was scared to know how much more it was. "Protect us from what exactly?" I question, holding my breath a little in anticipation for his answer.

       Jacob was quiet for a few seconds and was hesitant to tell me. His eyes spoke to me, wanting me to be understanding of what he was about to tell me. "I'm not going to lie to you Danielle, even though Paul might want me to hold off on this," he began simply. I remained silent as he continued. "We protect everyone from...vampires mostly but we'd fight other wolves too," he finished eyeing me. "What?!" I yelled, sitting up in my spot. Jacob follows suit. Vampires? They exist too? And Jacob, along with the others, are out there putting their lives on the line to keep La Push safe! Everything I've ever heard about vampires is that they are fast, strong, and hard to kill. "Jacob, vampires are dangerous. They could easily hurt you guys," I exclaim now so filled with worry that I'm pacing beside the bed.Way too state the obvious, I thought. "Dani, we can be just as dangerous for them. We've killed several before you got here to help a family of them but that's a different story," he began but I interrupted him. "There's a family of vampires here!" I state feeling my heart kick into overdrive. Am I the only one who thinks this is completely insane? "Yes but they claim to be vegetarian so they don't drink human blood. We helped them fight some rogue vampires last year but they live in Forks and can't come on our land without permission," he replied watching my manic movements back and forth. I didn't say anything. I just kept pacing, letting it sink in. Jacob must have taken this as a sign that I was panicing. "Danielle, you don't need to panic about this. Me and the guys heal extremely fast and are not easily broken. We are just as fast as them," he tried to reason with me. I wasn't about to let it go, just like that. "Jacob, I don't care if you can heal easily. You are my boyfriend, Paul is my cousin, and the guys are my friends. I won't be able to stand it if anything ever happened to one of you. I can't lose you," I say stopping and looking at him with my arms crossed. "You aren't going to lose me. Nothing's going to happen to the guys. I'll protect you no matter what. I'll never leave you," he retaliates, standing and pulling me into him. I just nod and give up for now on the subject and wrapping my arms around his waist.

      I'd drop it for now but I know I'll still worry even though he told me not too. He squeezed me to him and kissed the top of my head. Jacob always knows how to calm me down. Just being this close to him makes me feel as light as a feather. I would be content staying like this forever but it has to come to an end. "It's getting late. I better take you home cause I have to patrol later," he said breaking the comfortable silence. I stiffened at the thought of him being on patrol for...those things but I quickly compose myself. "Ok," I complied and followed him as we left the house. We drove Paul's truck back to my house. Once we arrived, I could see all the lights off which was strange. I gave Jacob a questioning look. "He's patrolling," he replied clearly understanding my look. I nod and open the door to the house. I let out a little yelp when Jacob picks me up and throws me over his shoulder. He laughed as he enters my room and lays me on the bed.

      "Be careful," I say with all seriousness. "I promise to be," he states and leans in for a kiss. I pull him to me by the neck and he places his hands on opposite of me as he leans down further. Correction from earlier: I would be satisfied staying like this forever, but who wouldn't?  He pulls away and gives me another quick peck on the lips before heading to my window. I looked confused at him. What was he up to? Then he opend it and jumped out of my two story window. I almost had a heart attack until I remember that he's pratically invincible since he's a werewolf. I pull the covers over my body and get comfortable. I hear another howl sound from the woods. Unlike the other I heard a night ago, it didn't sound at all disturbing. This one was happy and joyous. It brought a smile to my face and made my heart swell. I fell asleep that night with good dreams. All full of Jacob.