Chapter 24 - Fear of Losing Her

Jacob's POV

      I gripped the arms of the chair I was sitting in hard so I wouldn't explode right their in Paul's living room. After we got up to the room, I saw Dani pass out. Thanks to my speed, I caught her before she hit the floor. Calling her name didn't keep her from slipping under again. She had been awake. She had smiled at me when I entered the room. It made my heart beat harder like always. But now she was once again upstairs sleeping and I wasn't with her. It took everything in me not to rip her parents apart...after all, they were technically my inlaws. Paul had called Carlisle after escorting Dani's parents to the living room while I placed her back in bed. Carlisle was upstairs now checking on her.

      Everyone sat quietly in the living room. I noticed the eyes of my pack mates flicking over to me every so often. Her parents were standing on the other side of the room next to Paul mumbling to each other. I tried not to look over at them because it only made me angrier. Dani had been awake and they hadn't told any of us. They must have done something to cause her to call our names. It's their fault I wasn't holding her right now, that I couldn't hear her sweet voice and for that, it made me hate them.

      We heard Danielle's door close and footsteps descending the stairs. Carlisle appeared in the doorway of the living room and everyone straightened in their seats or where they stood. We all waited patiently for him to speak but it felt like hours of silence before he began. "Danielle is going to be fine. She's sleeping comfortably now. Its common that when someone has gone through trauma as she has that extensive stress could cause her to pass out. Just let her take it easy for the next week or two until she's fully recovered," he stated looking around the room at us. I let out a breath of relief that she was ok. "Thank you Doctor Cullen for your help," Dani's dad responded wrapping his arm around his wife's shoulders. "It was no problem at all," Carlisle nodded to them before heading out the door leaving us in an awkward silence.

       Some of the guys were quick to make excuses to leave until it was just me, Paul and her parents. "So what happened upstairs that got Dani so stressed out?" I heard Paul question. He probably knew I was listening. Her parents exchanged a look before turning back to address Paul. "Well we had discussed with her moving back to St. Louis. We thought she'd be happy," her mom explained softly. That's when I snapped. "What!?" I demand standing and walking briskly over to where the three were standing. They weren't taking Dani away from me. I hate when I can't see her for more than two hours. How would I survive not seeing her at all? Not being able to see her when she woke up or when she needs to talk to me? No way in hell.

      Paul stopped me before I could get all the way to them. "Calm down Jacob," he ordered. I glared at him then returned my attention to the cowering parents. I clinched and unclinched my fists as Paul turned back to them. Let them have it Paul, I thought. "She didn't need that stress. You should have waited to tell her," Paul said with agitation in his voice. It felt like I got hit in the stomach. Paul already knew their plan. "I know but--" Dani's dad began but was cut-off by me. "Wait, you knew?!" I screamed at Paul in disbelief. How could he even be ok with this? He knows the power of imprinting and how much I loved Dani and yet he still didn't say anything. He didn't tell them no.

      I was starting to shake more and more. Taking deep breaths weren't helping either. I turned away from the group and stalked to the opposite side of the room. I couldn't risk phasing and hurting Dani's parents. She'd never forgive me. I leaned my arms on the fireplace mantle and looked at the flames. "Maybe you should go rest and come back tomorrow," I heard Paul suggest. I didn't turn around until I heard the front door close and Paul return into the room. "Jacob, let me explain," Paul started but when I turned to growl at him, he shut his mouth quickly. "How could you know and not tell me? How could you be ok with it?" I said going to stand right in his face, frustration in my voice. "I should have told you but it's not my call. Its her parents'," he retaliated trying to speak calmly but it wasn't helping. It made it worse that he seemed so calm about the situation.

      My anger was boiling at this point. Dani was my life and I wasn't about to let her go. "Well you better believe I'm going to fight like hell to make sure it won't happen. I'll take down anyone, even you, to see that it doesn't," I exclaimed poking him in the chest. "You think I want to see her leave? I love her too Jacob but they're her parents. My hands are tied," Paul replied holding up his hands. I knew it wasn't entirely his fault but I just couldn't get past the thought that he knew about this. Before I could say anything else, I heard a sound. Dani was faintly calling my name. I made for the stairs wanting to reach her. I had to see her, to be with her. Before I stepped on the first step, I stopped. I knew Paul was watching me. I gripped the railing tight and took a deep breath. "I know that you don't want her to go," I state without turning to face him, "But if they take her back and you didn't try to talk them out of it, I'll never forgive you." And with that I bounded up the stairs to Dani.