Chapter 22: The Safe House

[[Dean P.O.V.]]

I sit at the small table across from the bedside to which Elena is sleeping at and I drink some water from a glass I found in the kitchen. I watch her sleep so soundly, and relief flows throughout my body. I can't even describe how much better I feel knowing that she is here with me and that she's okay; that we're okay.
I feel much better physically, I'm completely healed. Although, my anxiety just won't go away. All I can think about is Abaddon and what's she's capable of. It's another thing to add to our list of things we need to worry about, and that's so upsetting because we just want to live our lives for a little bit. Elena and I are getting married soon, and this baby is coming soon. We just......we need time. Just a little bit. We need some kind of break.
I take another sip of my water, noticing voices down the hall. It sounds like Bonnie and Cas are arguing. I listen quietly, trying to hear what they're arguing about. "I really don't think that's a good idea, Castiel. The less people here the better!  Bad things happen when we're all together!" I hear Bonnie yell in a loud whisper. "I disagree. Bad things happen to us all the time, but we get through it when we're together. We save each other. We're the reason we are all still alive, we aren't the reason why we all almost die twenty four of the seven." Cas yells back at her in a loud whisper. They're both trying to be quiet but obviously it's not working.
  Bonnie is silent for a moment before whisper-yelling again.  "What? No--Castiel--it's 24/7.  Not twenty-four of the seven."  Her tone becomes even more agitated and I can't help but chuckle at this.  Typical Cas.  He gets so close but he doesn't quite get it.  He tries.
  They continue to bicker back and forth and I'm not even sure what it's about, so I decide that I want to get involved and see what's going on.  I put my glass of water down on the table quietly and quickly walk into the living room where Cas and Bonnie are.
  "What are you two arguing about?" I ask as I slip into the room, causing Bonnie to jump with surprise. She gasps as her hand rushes to her chest, taking a deep breath as she speaks. "God Dean you scared the hell out of me. Is Elena still asleep?" She asks. I nod, walking up closer to them as I pop-a-squat onto the couch. "No changing the subject. What's going on?" I ask.
Cas takes a deep breath, placing his hand on his forehead as he lets out a deep sigh. "Bonnie is suggesting that we don't tell Sam or Caroline where we are." He says with annoyance. Bonnie quickly defends herself, "WITH GOOD REASON! We are all a threat to one another. If we all stay in one place together for too long we all know what happens. We create this huge ass target on our backs, it's like we're screaming to our enemies over a worldwide intercom 'hey guys we are all together in one spot come get us we made it super easy just for you!' No one else knows about this place right now except for us and I really think we need to keep it that way." She tries to explain. I get that, I really do.
Cas looks at me the whole time, waiting for me to flip out and take his side. But I think Bonnie may be right this time. "It does..kind of make sense, Cas." As soon as I say this he groans, rolling his eyes as he turns his back to us with his hands over his head. Bonnie shakes her head, "Why do they need to be here with us? What does that do for us?" Bonnie asks, crossing her arms as she turns toward Cas. Cas turns back around to face us. "It's safer. It's safer for them and it's safer for us. Nothing good can come from us all being separated. We just learned that with the situation we just barely got out of!" He yells. I stand up from the couch, shaking my head as I hold a hand out. "Okay Cas you need to calm down, geeze. She's right, okay? Sam isn't a baby he is perfectly capable of taking care of himself, and Caroline is a damn vampire for God's sake she knows how to protect herself." I say, my expression becoming serious now.
"Dean. Do you understand what she is capable of? This isn't Katherine or Cassie or even Crowley. This is so much worse and I don't think you realize just how bad this could get." Cas argues, making my anxiety worse. I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach because deep down I feel like he may be right, no matter how badly I want him to be wrong. I chose to ignore it, and I push it aside as I take Bonnie's side.
"Cas, Bonnie is right. We are not giving Sam and Caroline our coordinates because it's safer that way. End of discussion." I say as I uncross my arms, walking past the both of them as I head back to the bedroom. I understand where Cas is coming from but God it's one thing after the next, I really don't want to deal with that right now.
I walk back into the bedroom and I sit back down at the table with my glass of water. I take one last sip of it to finish it off, and as I'm placing it back onto the table I glance over at the open doors that lead to the small balcony. The wind blows softly in the dark night, and I can see the reflection of the moon on the ocean water. This is pretty peaceful.
I get up from my chair and I walk over to the balcony, just standing in the doorway as I look out onto the ocean. I tiredly begin to stare off, and my thoughts come to a halt as I'm accompanied by the sound of waves crashing. It's nice. I feel relaxed and this is honestly the first time in a while that I've felt at peace, even if it's just for a moment. I walk up to the railing and I rest my hands on it, closing my eyes as I try to take in this moment. For a few seconds I forget about everything......I forget about the pain, the worry, the fear....everything. The wind blows against me softly, and instead I think about all the good things in my life. It's like my mind plays my favorite flashbacks right before my eyes. I take a deep breath, tilting my head up towards the sky. The warm air seems to get hotter and hotter the longer I stand out here, so I lift my shirt up over my head and throw it onto one of the chairs in the balcony.
Now the cool air blows against my entire body, soothing and relaxing me even more than before. My lips slowly begin to curve into a smile as my head looks up at the night sky.