Part iii. Avoiding Run-on Sentences & Comma Splices

Marie was freaking out. Homecoming was only a few weeks away and we needed to be prepared. Marie always freaked out about the smallest of things. The last thing was about what her first-day-of-school outfit would be.

I could care less about those things. She was the fashion-obsessed twin. As long as I was comfy, I was good.

We were meeting Jessica and Harry at the mall to get a few ideas and maybe buy some things. The theme was an urban nightclub. Marie, Jessica, and Harry were so excited about it. I was only going because my sister and friends were.

Marie was taking forever in the bathroom, again. I was all ready to go, flipping through the channels, while I waited for her. My patience was wearing thin. I went upstairs and opened the bathroom door.

"The bathroom is too steamy, put the fan on," I told her.

A run-on sentence has a minimum of two parts. Each part can stand on its own (also known as two independent clauses), but the two parts have been glued together instead of being properly connected.

It is important to realize that the length of a sentence really has nothing to do with whether a sentence is a run-on or not; being a run-on is a structural flaw that can plague even a very short sentence:

The bathroom is too steamy, put the fan on.

An extremely long sentence, on the other hand, might sound like a run-on sentence, but it can be otherwise sound, structurally. For example:

"Louis had put her back in the living room after Krüger left, and had started inspecting her wound for any sign of infection, peeling back the bandages and checking the bullet wound for anything he should be concerned about."

- Excerpt from SicSemperT-Rex's "Prosper" - chapter 24.

When two independent clauses are connected by only a comma, they constitute a run-on sentence that is called a comma splice.

The example of Marie steaming up the bathroom is a comma splice. When you use a comma to connect two independent clauses, it must be accompanied by a little conjunction (and, but, for, nor, yet, or, so).

The bathroom is too steamy, so put the fan on.

Putting a conjunction in place of the comma is also incorrect.

The bathroom is too steamy so put the fan on.

Marie was starting to get on my nerves again. You'd think I'd get used to it and be more patient, and plan ahead to give her more time, but I didn't. She was just starting on her hair and make-up. She didn't even have an outfit picked out yet, and god knows how long that'll take.

Depending on the situation, you can sometimes feel like you've written and or but too many times in the previous sentences, and it just doesn't flow well. You can always get rid of the conjunction and comma, making it into two separate sentences.

She didn't even have an outfit picked out yet. God knows how long that'll take.

Run-on sentences happen typically under the following circumstances:

When an independent clause gives an order or directive based on what was said in the prior independent clause.

We're meeting Jessica and Harry at the mall soon, you should hurry up and put on some clothes.

We could put a period where that comma is and start a new sentence. A semicolon might also work there.

We're meeting Jessica and Harry at the mall soon. You should hurry up and put on some clothes.

We're meeting Jessica and Harry at the mall soon; you should hurry up and put on some clothes.

When two independent clauses are connected by a transitional expression (conjunctive adverb) such as however, moreover, nevertheless.

Jessica and Harry were in the bookstore when we arrived, however, we thought they were in the food court, so it took a while before we finally met up.

Again, where that first comma appears, we could have used either a period—and started a new sentence—or a semicolon.

Jessica and Harry were in the bookstore when we arrived. However, we thought they were in the food court, so it took a while before we finally met up.

Jessica and Harry were in the bookstore when we arrived; however, we thought they were in the food court, so it took a while before we finally met up.

When the second of two independent clauses contains a pronoun that connects it to the first independent clause.

Marie swore the dress looked perfect for Jessica, it even came with a matching belt.

Although these two clauses are quite brief, and the ideas are closely related, this is a run-on sentence. We need a period where that comma now stands.

Marie swore the dress looked perfect for Jessica. It even came with a matching belt.

Harry found a neon yellow hat to wear to Homecoming, I had to admit it would look breath-taking under the black lights.

Again, two nicely related clauses, incorrectly connected—a run-on. Use a period to cure this sentence.

Harry found a neon yellow hat to wear to Homecoming. I had to admit it would look breath-taking under the black lights.

I'll be honest with you, I never heard of comma splices until college. No English teacher in high school ever taught this in their curriculum (if they did, I didn't pay attention).

Have any of you ever heard of a comma splice before reading this part? Now that you understand what it is, can you spot them in your writing?

If any of this is still confusing for you, I don't mind explaining in further detail if you PM me.

A/N: The excerpt used for this part is the amazing writer, SicSemperT-Rex, and her thrilling WWII story about spies in the heat of the war, "Prosper." Go check it out!