ANSWERS: Pace & Timeline

Exercise:

1. Write this scene at a fast pace.

Kayla calls the police from her neighbor's house. When they arrive, they enter her house with her trailing behind, terrified. The police call her cell phone and locate it in the front hall closet. Inexplicably, it's on the floor.

Kayla hurries to her neighbor's house. She calls the police. They quickly arrive. Kayla trails behind them as they enter her house, terrified. The police call her cell phone. It's ring can be subtly heard from the front hall closet. Her heart rate speeds up. Inexplicably, it's on the floor.

To quicken the pace, I shortened the sentences and included more details to intensify the suspense and anxiety.

2. Write this scene at a leisurely pace.

The police wait while Kayla packs a few things, and they drive her to her sister's house. Kayla finds the fake rock where her sister has always kept a spare key, but the cubbyhole is empty.

The police patiently waited as Kayla took her time deciding what few things to pack. Only the essentials, but what? When she was finally ready, they drove her to the town over to her sister's house. Kayla isn't sure if her sister is home. She hasn't answered her phone calls. Luckily, there's the spare key her sister always keeps under the fake rock by the front door. When she walks up to the front door, there are a few fake rocks and potted plants. She picks up the first rock. It's not the right one. She picks up the second one. Luckily, it is the right one. She slides the cover off of the cubbyhole. Her stomach plummets. It's empty.

See how I added so much more detail and actual length to the story timeline as well?

3. What type of pacing would you use when the protagonist's plans are canceled due to a rainy day?

I would use a leisurely pace.

4. What type of pacing would you use when the protagonist gets kidnapped?

I would use a fast pace.

5. What type of pacing would you use when the protagonist connects eyes with the love interest for the first time?

This depends on the effect you want. If it feels like the world has stopped, then a leisurely pace, but if it feels like high-anxiety, my heart is about to explode, then perhaps a fast pace would be more suitable.

6. Is this sentence in passive or active voice?

A part of our fence was destroyed by the strong winds.

This sentence is passive. It should be: The strong winds destroyed a part of our fence.

7. Rewrite this sentence, changing it from passive to active voice: The most expensive cars are often built by foreign companies.

Foreign companies often build the most expensive cars.

8. Rewrite this sentence, changing it from passive to active voice: The materials were brought by my uncle, and the shed was built by my cousin.

My uncle brought the materials, and my cousin built the shed.

9. Is this sentence in passive or active voice?

The letter was not written by me.

This sentence is passive. It should be: I did not write the letter.

10. Last one. Is this sentence in passive or active voice?

A good argument was made by the defense team.

This sentence is passive. It should be: The defense team made a good argument.