Part iii. Attribution

We've touched upon attribution, or dialogue tags, a bit in the previous part. Now, let's delve deeper.

What are Dialogue Tags?

Dialogue tags are the words that accompany quoted dialogue, which tell the reader who's talking, and even sometimes how their talking.

The main function of a dialogue tag is to keep the reader from getting confused.

While there are a variety of verbs that express how words might have been spoken, most published authors advise to stay with "said," "asked," and the occasional "replied."

The word "said" is invisible to readers in dialogue, while too many description tags can put the reader off. Dialogue tags can be distracting done incorrectly. They can interrupt the flow, causing dialogue to not run at a reasonably smooth pace.

Many times, you don't even need to have a dialogue tag, so long as the reader can tell who is speaking. However, you should make sure to include some dialogue tags more than once in a long conversation or the readers may start to get confused.

Also, if you have more than two characters speaking within a scene, I suggest you utilize dialogue tags as much is necessary so the reader can follow along with no confusion.

None of this is to say that you can only use "said" or nothing at all; in fact, you probably should use other words once in awhile because the same word over and over again can become quite tedious, not just to the reader, but, from personal experience to the writer and the editor as well.

You shouldn't need to think of intricate words. I suggest only using other words to show that a tone of voice has changed or to specify how they are speaking when it is appropriate, like the words: "groaned," "yelled," and "scoffed," among others.

Readers need dialogue tags that don't distract from the narrative.

Is "Said" Really Dead?

So, you may have heard the saying that "said is dead." If you have, you also might have wondered why, if said is dead, hundreds of authors still use it all the time in their writing.

If you start using words other than "said," more often than not, it can become distracting to the reader. Occasionally, you can use alternatives to "said," but use them sparingly.

Dialogue Tags and Adverbs

Another thing, avoid the overuse of adverbs that end in "ly."

Try not to use too many "ly" adverbs such as, "Jackson said strangely," or, "Delphine said annoyingly" in your dialogue. Sure, a few are okay but don't overdo it. Why? Because these types of tags tell and don't show, which take the reader out of the narrative.

Try to stick to using the general "said" tag. The reader's eyes will simply pass over it and never even realize they've read it, if done correctly every now and then.

Alternatives to "Said"

Here is a list of a few of my favorite "said" alternatives:

• Answered
• Called
• Commented
• Demanded
• Explained
• Giggled
• Hesitated
• Joked
• Laughed
• Moaned
• Questioned
• Replied
• Scoffed
• Snapped
• Stated
• Suggested
• Told
• Urged
• Whispered
• Yelled

For more alternatives, check out this great list:

https://letterpile.com/writing/400-Alternative-words-for-said

(This is also the same link in the external link. To view, scroll to the bottom near the comments and you'll see the external link button. I don't believe you can access it while on the mobile device, though.)

The Trick to Master:

Knowing when it's understandable to the reader who is speaking, and then knowing whether or not to remove the verb "said" completely, or add an alternative descriptive verb.

Just remember, don't go overboard with it.

Please give this part a vote if it helped you!