Part iii. Deciphering Between Genres

(To the image above, I ask, why not both?)

Some books' genres are obvious while others aren't. Some have very thin lines between the two, or even three genres. So, how do you decipher between genres?

I like to keep things simple. If your book is about the main character living through high school (even if there's a bunch of romance, drama, and/or humor), it should be under the Teen Fiction genre.

If your book only focuses on vampires, it's under the Vampire genre; and vice versa for Werewolves.

If your book has dragons and wizards, in the most common sense, it's a Fantasy. And if your book focuses on the future space travel, in the most common sense, it's a Science Fiction.

If your book takes place during WWII Nazi Germany or Feudal Japan, it's a Historical Fiction. And if your book is about a whodunit murder, it's most likely a Mystery/Thriller.

If your book is completed with less than at least 4,000 words, it's considered a short story, no matter the main theme of the book.

Let's take a closer look at the genres that are a bit too similar and a bit too difficult to differentiate from.

Action vs. Adventure

When deciding between the Action and Adventure genres, decide what your main point, your main theme, is. Is it focused on the suspenseful fight scenes or the long journey to the protagonist's end goal?

Action: "Looking for danger, risk, and excitement? Find your hero in the best action books for teens and adults from your favorite authors."

Adventure: "Go on an epic journey with these free adventure books. Travel to the realm of heroes, villains, pirates, and other fairy folk."

Vampires vs. Werewolves vs. Paranormal

There are vampires harassing the main character? It's obviously going to be in the Vampire genre. But wait, there aren't just vampires, but werewolves, demons, angels, ghosts, and goblins; so, now, it would be categorized in the Paranormal genre.

Still, not too hard to figure out.

Paranormal vs. Fantasy

But what if your book includes the Greek Gods or witches? Is it Paranormal or Fantasy? Well, let's take a look again at each genre's description.

Paranormal: "Beware: ghosts, zombies, demons, clairvoyants, and ghouls. Read these free paranormal stories at your own risk."

Fantasy: "Enter the realm of magic, dragons, princesses, elves, and faraway kingdoms, where a series of most unexpected events come to life."

Both would fall under the Fantasy genre.

Fantasy vs. Romance

Now, your Greek Gods book is about murder, betrayal, drama, and tons of romance. Romance is your main focus on this book. Would you categorize it under Romance then?

Romance: "Discover free love stories for any passion or persuasion. Book a date with your favorite author and read everything from sweet young romance to steamy new adult."

These Wattpad generated genre descriptions can only go so far. They're more meant for interpretation...

So, how would you interpret a story about a mortal who finds out she's betrothed to Hades? There are plenty of stories on Wattpad with this basic plot line. Some find it interesting (guilty), while others pass on them. But how would you categorize it?

I would still leave it under the Fantasy genre, even though romance is the main drive of the story because it is still taking place in an unrealistic world. Some may disagree, and that is fine, but you also have to think about what do you want your readers to expect when they stumble upon your book?

Romance vs. Mystery/Thriller

Let's take a look at another example. Your book is about two young adults who fall in love while trying to catch the serial killer tormenting their small town.

This book features romance, but also murder and mystery. Some might even interpret this book as horror, depending on how gory and mature you go with your descriptions.

Mystery / Thriller: "Welcome to the world of mystery, crime, and intrigue. Investigate psychological thrillers, blood boiling murders, and detective stories."

Staying strict to Wattpad's descriptions, I would categorize this as a Mystery/Thriller more than a Romance. Think of it this way: the romance is the subplot to the main plot of the serial killer.

ChickLit vs. Romance

I'll tell you the easiest way to differentiate between the two. There doesn't have to be a love interest in ChickLit.

ChickLit: "consists of heroine-centered narratives that focus on the trials and tribulations of their individual protagonists."

The main focus for a ChickLit novel is whatever struggle is in the protagonist's life that is not about love. Sure, love might be a driving force, but it's not the main point.

If you're having difficulty differentiating between two or more genres that weren't explained here, comment below and I'll be sure to add an explanation to this part for you!

So, now that you know how to decipher between the similar genres, how do you choose your genre? The next part will elaborate.

Be sure to vote if this part has clarified things for you!