Part vi. Applying Literary Devices to Your Writing

• Imagery
• Metaphor
• Simile
• Irony

What do these things mean? Why even bother knowing these things?

Well, half of you already include these devices in your writing and you don't even know it!

Are you familiar with the saying knowledge is power? Well, it's not a well-known phrase for nothing.

If you are able to point out what literary devices are already in your writing, and are able to consciously add them into your writing, you will become a better writer.

This part will review the literary devices I see the most in great fiction on Wattpad, as well as a few good terms you just should know as a writer.

An analogy is a comparison between two things, typically on the basis of their structure and for the purpose of explanation or clarification.

Keiran thought about how a doctor diagnosed diseases was like how a detective investigated crimes.

Keiran is comparing the profession of a doctor to a detective. Both need to solve mysteries, one about diseases and one about crimes. Adding this device into your writing gives another perspective for your reader to connect to your story.

Diction is the distinctive tone of an author's writings. Diction is not just a writer's choice of words; it can include the mood, attitude, dialect and style of writing. Diction is usually judged with reference to the standards of proper writing and speech and is seen as the mark of quality of the writing.

He wondered how his wife, Samantha, would handle the news. Should he even tell her? Should she even know? Should he wait until the time is closer? He just didn't want her to worry and 'baby' him for the rest of his days.

Epilogues are an optional part of a story. The epilogue is an important literary tool that acts as the afterword once the last chapter is over. The purpose of an epilogue is to add a little insight to some interesting developments that happen once the major plot is over.

Epilogues often act as a teaser trailer to any possible sequels that might be created later. Sometimes the epilogue is used to add a little bit about the life or future of the main characters after the story itself has unfolded and wrapped up.

Epilogues can be written in a number of ways: sometimes the same narrative style as adopted in the story is continued, while at other times one of the characters might take up the narrative or speak one to one with the audience.

Keiran knew in the end that he had lived a fulfilling life filled with joy and laughter and love. He knew he was leaving his wife in a good place. She still had her hobbies to keep her busy. He knew she'd be happy and be able to handle living alone. Keiran left this world with a hint of a smile on his lips; his son, James was waiting for him.

There will be many times when you need to show the reader something that happened in the past. Sure, you could summarize the brief memory and move on. But if the past event is something very important and emotionally connected to your story, then you might want to write it as a flashback.

A flashback is a dramatic way to tell the reader about past events but interrupts the narrative flow of your main story. Delivered at an inopportune time, a flashback can derail the current action and dissipate any momentum you've gathered. Delivered at the right dramatic moment, a flashback enhances and deepens your story.

The tricky thing about writing a flashback is transitioning into the past and then transitioning back to the present. You want to do so in a way that feels clear and effortless. You may do this by mentioning the difference in time and space. For example: