two: infatuation

Chapter Two

"Settle down, settle down."

Dumbledore clinked his glass quietly and immediately, the entire Great Hall went silent. The Sorting had just finished and everyone was ravenous. Some of them were already eyeing the plates of food laid out on the tables. Sirius' hand slowly inched forward to the basket of bread but Lily smacked his hand. He drew back, grumbling obscenities about annoying redheads.

"Now, I'm sure you're all famished." Dumbledore paused for a moment, chuckling. "I'm not going to waste your time talking anymore. I'll save the lengthy speeches for after dinner, and now, I simply have two words. Tuck in!"

James and Sirius clinked their forks and spoons together, grinning. "Amen."

Finally, they were home. And nothing says home like a hearty meal.

---------------------------------

Brooklyn glanced around when she was done eating, sipping her pumpkin juice, as she smiled slightly. Merlin, it was good to be back. She'd missed this place.

She turned to her right, where James Potter had taken the seat beside her, unsurprisingly. Her smile was replaced with a weary sigh. She didn't hate him, no, but she didn't exactly like him either. Really, she would consider them friends, but he was just so moronic and arrogant sometimes, it really drove her up the wall.

He was already watching her, and when they locked eyes, he grinned, raising his eyebrows.

"So, did you miss me over the holidays, Jones?"

She scoffed. "You wish."

"I do, love. I really do."

Across the table, Marlene smirked. "She was too busy getting attention from all the cute muggle guys working at the new record store across her house. Right, Brook?" Brooklyn blushed, rolling her eyes. "Shut up, Mar."

"Oh come on. The really cute one, the one who can sing, what was his name? Connor? He was totally into you."

Brooklyn rolled her eyes again, sighing. She leaned forward, resting her elbows on the table as a distant look emerged in her eyes. "Well, he was cute. Really cute." Lily giggled along with Alice. "Definitely."

James huffed. He seemed annoyed at the sight of his lovely Jones practically swooning over some stranger. "Well love, you can go tell this Connor  fellow to piss off and that if he ever tries to flirt with my girl again, he's going to get a serious—"

"I'm not your girl, Potter," Brooklyn stated, but she looked more amused than annoyed. Having bantered with James Potter for so many years, she was used to his flirtatious jokes and childish comments. Well, at least she thought they were jokes.

"Well, do you want to be?" He winked and she groaned. "How many times do we have to go over this?"

"As many times as it takes, love."

"Stop calling me that."

"Make me."  He brought his face closer to hers, still wearing that infuriating, cocky smirk of his. Brooklyn suddenly realised just how tall he was, he practically towered over her. And his eyes.... He did have nice eyes. And nice arms. And a nice jawline.

Oh, shut up, Brooklyn, she thought, quickly looking away.

"Hey Brook, shouldn't you be taking the first-years off now?" Lily asked, and Brokklyn smacked her forehead.