twenty-three: of alcohol & drunken babbling

Chapter Twenty-Three

James ran a hand through his hair for the umpteenth time as he looked over his shoulder anxiously every few seconds, trying to calm himself down. Checking his watch again, he leaned back against the wall, taking a deep breath to compose himself and his erratic pulse.

The marauders were standing together outside the Great Hall, where Slughorn's party was being held. It was really more of a ball than a party, seeing as everyone in the school would be there. Pairs of couples and groups of students all chatted and laughed cheerfully as they streamed past the four boys into the hall. A few girls giggled and eyed them as they flitted past, but none of the boys took notice.

James was freaking out.

He couldn't stop fidgeting, and the rest of the boys were starting to get irked.

"For fuck's sake, stop being so nervous," Sirius mumbled, nudging him in the side reassuringly. "It's going to be fine."

James bit his lip agitatedly, shoving his hands into his pockets to resist from checking his watch again. "I— I cant help it."

His friends couldn't comprehend why he was so nervous. He didn't have any reason to be, he was James fucking Potter, for crying out loud. Marauder extraordinaire, and most likely the best Quidditch player of his age in the entire goddamn country. He had girls falling over this feet left and right, he wasn't supposed to get so worked up over anyone.

The thing was, she wasn't just any girl.

Sirius raised an eyebrow as he looked him up and down. "Seriously. I think you're hyperventilating."

Remus shook his head, slightly amused. "Oh, give him a break, Pads. He's been waiting for this moment for far too long."

"What moment?"

At the sound of the familiar voice, James froze. His gaze flickered up to see Brooklyn stopping in front of him, with that familiar cheeky, lovely smile on her lips. When she directed that smile towards him, to say that his heart stopped beating for a moment would have been an understatement.

"Hey guys," she greeted, her brilliant green eyes locking with James' own hazel ones. His mind went utterly blank for a few seconds, then went into complete overdrive.

"Erm, hi. Hey. Hi," he stammered, his mouth running faster than his racing thoughts. "You.. um..."

"What's the matter, Potter? Cat got your tongue?" Marlene teased as she appeared along with Lily and Alice, flashing the boys a smirk as she took in their appearances. "I hate to admit it, but you four clean up well."

"I could say the same thing about you," Sirius commented as he gave her a charming grin, causing her to roll her eyes at his mediocre attempt to flirt. "Flattered. Anyways, I'm going to go get a drink, Merlin knows I'm in desperate need of one. I'll see you girls later?"

Alice nodded, glancing around. "Yeah. I'm going to go find Frank."

"Don't do anything I wouldn't," Brooklyn reminded them playfully. The two of them waved to the others as they strolled into the Great Hall, getting lost in the crowd. Clearing his throat, Sirius excused himself as well to go 'find someone,' shooting Remus a meaningful look as he left. Catching on, Remus' gaze flickered shyly to Lily, whom was shuffling her feet and staring at the ground.

"So, Lily... Would you, erm.. would you like to dance?"

Her face gradually turning the colour of her hair, she nodded, smiling as she let him take her hand and lead her inside. Remus elbowed James pointedly as he left, muttering something encouraging into his ear. James hadn't really heard what he'd said, but it sounded like something along the lines of, 'Don't screw up.'