Chapter 1

The girl raised her fist and knocked it against the glass window on the door of her friend, Caroline Forbes. As she waited for someone to answer it, she began to regret agreeing to come to this party.

Ever since her parents died, Elena hadn't wanted to go out much, or do anything, so this was Caroline's not-so-subtle way of trying to get her to go out and have fun. The truth is, she would much rather stay home and watch a film, but Caroline insisted that they go to the party at the Grill.

Just as she was about to turn away and text her friend to say something came up, the door swung open and she was faced with a very smiley, and excited, Caroline. Next to Elena's dress, the first thing she found in her wardrobe, Caroline looked very dolled up in her tight dress and curled blonde hair.

"Elena, let's go! I was expecting to get a text from you to say that something came up, but I'm so proud of you - it's going to be so much fun."

As the two headed to Caroline's car, the blonde didn't stop talking, which Elena's was glad about - she could just nod along and look forward to going home at the end of the party. In that moment, the thought of attempting to be sociable was rather unappealing to her.

Once they arrived, the two entered together, Caroline immediately lit up, whereas Elena wondered if she should turn back - or if Caroline would let her.

The brunette felt a tug at her arm and found herself being dragged over to the bar where Caroline ordered her a drink. They were under the limit, but the bartender served them regardless, clearly not bothered enough to argue with Caroline, or anyone at the party.

Drink in hand, the bubbly blonde headed off to go and mingle, leaving her friend to sit at the bar alone, unwilling to get up and pretend to have fun. As the time passed, she found herself ordering drink after drink, a decision she knew she would regret in the morning, but continued regardless. Eventually, she decided it was time to give up and attempt to sneak out as Caroline was completely occupied by the lips of a boy Elena was sure neither of them had ever seen before.

Just as she was about to stand, the bartender placed another drink in front of her.

"I didn't order this." She said.

"No, this is from the man over there."

Elena turned to where he was pointing to see a man, who looked as though he was in his twenties, smiling at her. He had dark black hair with pale skin, and he was wearing a black leather jacket. He raised his glass to her and she did the same. It may have been the great amount of alcohol she had drunk, or just boredom, but on her way out, she placed her hand on his shoulder, to which he smiled, took her hand, and led her out of the Grill. Caroline glanced over to the bar just in time to see her brunette friend being led out and couldn't help but smile at the thought of Elena actually having some fun.

Outside, the man pressed his lips onto Elena's and she smiled inside, before pulling away.

"Wait, I can't do this."

He looked her deep in the eyes.

"Yes you can Kitty Kat, it's me, Damon."

Suddenly, Elena found herself wanting to kiss him again, completely willing to do this - just as he had said.

She allowed him to lead her to his car and they drove quickly back to his house, all the while, his hand slowly reaching up her thigh.

When they finally pulled up to a house , she gaped in awe, but didn't get a chance to say anything before he once again planted his lips on hers and they continued to kiss as they made their way to the door and up the stairs, removing their clothes as they went. Once they had reached the top of the stairs, Damon lifted the girl and took her into his room before placing her on the bed.

The next few minutes were rather enjoyable for both parties, something Elena had not thought possible for tonight - or from a very drunken hook up from a bar.

Between the kisses she found herself whispering his name, something that made him more and more into it.

Then, as he pulled back, he whispered something that made her stop.

"I thought you were burning in hell for 145 years."

Elena quickly pulled back and stared at him, trying to figure out what he meant.

"What?"

He ignored her exclamation and, as quickly as she had leapt into bed with him, his face transformed in a way she could not possibly describe. Veins protruded from beneath his eyes, which had become a blood red colour, and his canine teeth grew, appearing as fangs.

"Now, you'll suffer like you were meant to, Katherine."

Elena tried to push him away as he bared his teeth and moved towards her neck, but she couldn't. He opened his mouth and clamped it around her, his teeth piercing her skin and allowing all the blood to flow into his mouth. She could feel it being drained out of her, sucked into his mouth, and she gathered up all her strength to push him as far away as she could. As he fell, he landed on the wooden table beside his bed, breaking it, feeling the wooden splinters penetrate his skin.

He stood again and bared his teeth, staggering towards her.

"What are you?" She asked, moving away quickly, not knowing how long she would have this advantage for.

"A vampire."

Terrified, she didn't know what to do. She could feel the blood dripping down her neck and began to feel lightheaded, realising that she had to do something soon or she would be done for. And, as the young brunette was about to fall, she had just enough strength to push the struggling vampire once again onto the broken wooden table before collapsing to the ground.

The vampire, shocked at what had happened, looked to Elena – he then realised his error. This girl before him was not the elusive Katherine Pierce, but her doppelgänger, unbeknownst to him at that moment in time. Out of sheer panic as to what he could have done to this innocent girl, he fled the room and rushed down the stairs. Just as he was about to leave the house, he felt a sharp sting in his back where the wooden splinters were.

"I'll take the rest out if you tell me what's going on."

Damon turned to see his brother, Stefan, staring him in the face.

"Take the wood out first, then I'll spill."

Damon looked at Stefan, not in a nice brotherly way, a way that made Stefan scared for his own safety, even though he was his flesh and blood. Despite the wooden splinters, Damon was stronger than Stefan, who lived off of the blood of animals he hunted himself. This also meant that Damon was faster than his brother, an advantage that came in handy as he fled out of the door knowing that Stefan would not attempt to follow him.