Chapter 8

After Elena was in his bathroom and had turned on the shower, Stefan headed down the stairs, assured that at least for now, she was safe.

Upon hearing his brother sit down on the sofa with a drink, Damon crept to Stefan's room, hoping he wouldn't hear him. He looked to the bathroom door, which Elena had left slightly ajar and couldn't draw his eyes from her as she rinsed her hair and the shampoo ran down her body. Damon followed it with his eyes as it slid down her, his heart racing in his chest as he longed to go in and embrace her. 

Several minutes later, Elena turned off the water and Damon dashed out of the room so as not to be caught. Then, he headed downstairs to speak to Stefan, knowing Elena would still need to dry herself and get dressed.

"So, brother, we have a problem." Damon said as he sat down, taking Stefan's bourbon out of his hand.

Stefan looked slightly annoyed, but was more interested in finding out what the problem was than arguing with his brother.

"Okay, so while Elena was in hospital, I did some digging. I called all the witches I know, even Bonnie, and I worked it out."

Stefan watched his brother closely as he took a large swig of the bourbon, finishing the glass, and then sat back, almost as if he was waiting for him to beg for the rest of the story.

"What did you find Damon?" Stefan sighed.

He smiled smugly, then continued the story.

"Well, turns out I have pissed off a few witches over the years. One of them in particular. It was a one night fling, she wanted me to call her back, I didn't, she did some kind of weird spell which resulted in my ability to procreate and now all the other witches want to either kill Elena or do a weird sacrificial ritual because we have upset the balance of nature."

Once Damon had explained it all, he slumped back on the sofa and sighed.

"So, I've done my part - time for you to put on your hero hair and fix it."

Stefan shook his head and leant forwards.

"You're telling me they want to kill Elena and the baby, and you just expect me to accept it and fix it. Elena could die."

"I'm well aware of that Stefan, but you need to fix it. You know how this works. I create a huge problem, although I don't take responsibility for this one, and then you fix it, we resent each other for a few years and then the cycle begins all over again."

Damon seemed quite pleased with himself as he spoke, but Stefan was fuming. He didn't know how to feel. Angry with his brother for everything he had done and then dumping all of his problems onto him. Or maybe he should be angry with himself for letting it happen. Should he be shocked that he could be an uncle, or sad that Elena, someone he had come to care for deeply, could die?

Thoughts circled around his head, but no one's mind could be as conflicted as Elena's as she stood at the top of the stairs, hearing every word that came out of their mouths.