Chapter 15

It was bright, but that didn't wake the passed out vampire. Damon had drunk all night until eventually he fell asleep on the couch. Elena came down the stairs, and for the first time in a long time she was happy, bounding downstairs with a smile on her face.

She slowly approached Damon, tapping him gently.

"Damon, Damon?"

Eventually he stirred.

"Where's Stefan?"

Damon scrunched his eyes and sat up. He shrugged as Elena looked around at the large number of empty bottles surrounding him.

She picked up his feet and sat down where they were.

There was a moment of silence between the two. It was just down right awkward. For the first time ever, he didn't know what to say, just sat there, listening to her heart beat.

He was distracted by the sound of a phone ringing upstairs. With no explanation he dashed up to get it and then placed it in her hands.

"It's Jenna."

Elena smiled gratefully and walked into the kitchen to answer it. Moments later she walked back in. Explaining that she had to go back home because Jenna wanted a chat - she had yet to tell her about the pregnancy and it was going to be difficult to hide now that she was starting to show.

"Are you going to tell her about the baby?"

Elena looked to the ground and nodded.

Damon felt an ache in his heart as he saw how scared she looked.

"Let me come with you - we'll tell her it was my fault. But maybe we should leave out a couple of details - you know?"

Elena giggled as he hissed, mimicking his vampire face and flailing his arms around.

"Thank you, I mean it." She said looking into his eyes.

As they walked out she was slightly ahead and he couldn't help but shiver a little at the thought of her trusting him like this.