Chapter 7

Hours later, Elena felt her eyelids flutter open, and upon looking around the room, saw Damon staring at her. It wasn't clear, and it could have just been her imagination, but she was almost sure she had seen him release a breath when she smiled at him.

Without explanation, he took the tube out of her arm and lifted her up, carrying her past the front desk, no one attempting to stop him. For the second time that day, Damon placed Elena in his car and drove off with her, but this time, he was taking her home.

"Damon, what's going on?" She asked as he sped off down the road.

After getting no response, she turned to him again.

"Damon?"

The car slammed to a halt and Elena found herself being thrown forward in her seat.

"Damon, be careful, my head."

He turned to face her and snapped.

"Well I'm sorry, is the fact that I am driving you away from danger to keep you alive not good enough? Should I drive slower?"

Unbeknownst to Elena at that moment in time, Damon had been desperately trying to find out what was wrong with her for the past few hours. He had found himself more worried than he could ever remember being before. He was angry with himself for taking her out of the house and for letting this happen.

"What is wrong with you Damon?" She exclaimed as he sped off again, not even looking at her as he sped off down the road.

She tried again and again to try and get his attention, but he didn't listen, he stared straight ahead until the car pulled up in the driveway. Then, he got out of the car, grabbed her arm and dragged her into the house pushing her onto the sofa.

"Stefan!" Damon shouted, his brother immediately rushing into the room to see what the problem was.

Upon seeing Elena, Stefan rushed over to her, immediately embracing her in a tight hug.

"Here she is, fine and alive."

Stefan glared at Damon.

"Are you gonna tell me what's going on, because I got a phone call from Bonnie about an hour and a half ago telling me that Elena was in hospital and no one knew why."

Elena still held Stefan's hand as he spoke to Damon.

"You know what, I think this is a conversation to have later, you two have ten minutes then I'm claiming this room to drink until the sun comes up. And it won't be pretty."

Damon walked upstairs and slammed his door shut. As he kicked off his shoes and lay down on the bed, he couldn't resist listening to what they had to say downstairs.

"Are you sure you're okay Elena?" Stefan asked, concern in his voice as they sat down together on the sofa.

"Yeah, I think so, my head hurts a bit, but apart from that everything's fine."

"And what about, the baby, what happened?"

They both looked down to her abdomen as Elena explained what happened.

"Actually, do you kind if I stay until tomorrow morning. I don't mean to keep putting you out but my Aunt Jenna is staying at campus and my brother is at a friend's house."

Stefan smiled at her.

"I just don't want to be alone tonight." She whispered.

"Of course you can stay, do you want to take a shower?"

Elena smiled and nodded.

"Do you want a top to wear?" He asked.

She shook her head.

"I came prepared." She said as she pulled out the blue t-shirt from her bag.

They both laughed as Stefan led her upstairs.

As they passed Damon's room, he listened to them laugh and felt anger rise inside him. He didn't know why, but he wanted to be the one to make her laugh and feel safe. He wanted to be the one.