Chapter Two: Missing

I WOKE UP in the basement, curled up on my mattress

I felt a throbbing pain in my leg. I squinted in the darkness, only to see that it was bent at an odd angle. I squeezed my eyes shut, praying that when I opened them, I'd be anywhere else. But when I opened my eyes, I was still in the dark, dank basement room.

I heard the stairs creak outside the room, and a shiver ran down my spine.

He's coming.

I heard a click as the key turned in the lock on the door. Instinctively, a whimper escaped my lips.

You're going to regret that.

The door opened and the hinges creaked loudly. I braced myself for what was to come.

"Rise and shine," sang a light, feminine voice.

My eyes snapped open, and I was staring at the ceiling of my hospital room. I breathed a sigh of relief.

It was just a nightmare. A very real nightmare.

"Morning, Dr. Michaels," I yawned, stretching and sitting up.

"Am I boring you?" she laughed.

"Nah, just a bad night," I respond, evading her question and plastering a fake smile on my face.

She frowned, seeing through my façade. "Well, I'm sorry to hear that. Do you want to talk about it?"

I sighed. Was I ready to let her in just yet? I'd been in the hospital under her care for three weeks now. I'd grown to like her and I didn't feel the need to cringe when she got too close to me. She was one of few I actually spoke to. And my nurse Carrie, despite our rough start. 

But there was nobody I trusted more than Dr. Michaels.

"Well, I had this dream," I began. "Or, well I guess it was more of a memory."

She walked over to the chair by the wall and dragged it over so that it was at my bed side. She sat down, making herself comfortable. "Was this a good memory or a bad memory?"