Chapter Thirty-Six: Forgiveness

WAITING ON STAGE for the results was nerve wracking to say the least

All of the teams were crowded on the enormous stage, sitting in our costumes and dance jackets while the announcer spewed out his instructions.

First, they would read off the results of the groups, then small groups, then duets, and finally solos. Afterward, the overall top three teams would be announced.

By the time solo announcements rolled around, my nerves were shot to hell. We'd placed second with our group routine, beat out by Ariat Prep by exactly one point. Juliette, Katia and Taylor placed second as well with their small group routine, but Aurora and Violet managed to cinch first place with their duet.

The rest of the team seemed nervous as well, most of us holding each other's hands tightly in anticipation as the announcer started into his final announcements.

"In third place, with a total score of ninety points, Kamilah Tahan of the Summer Grove Academy Royals, with her solo 'Be The One.'"

Our team broke out in a chorus of cheers as Kamilah took to centre stage to accept her award. A fair amount of the audience also applauded. I may have hated Kamilah, but I had to admit her skills as a dancer were pretty impressive.

Once the applauses wore down, a girl reappeared beside the announcer with the next trophy. "And in second place, with a total score of ninety-two points, Madison Van Allen of the Ariat Preparatory Elites, with her solo 'You Don't Own Me.'"

Another round of applause and loud cheering filled the room as Madison got to her feet and sashayed to the front of the stage. The smile she wore was bright as she took her trophy, but even I could tell it was incredibly fake. She was pissed.

"And finally," the announcer began again, the last few claps dying down as his voice boomed through the theatre. "In first place, with total score of ninety-nine, Scarlett Grey of the Summer Grove Academy Royals, with her solo 'Praying.'"

My heart stopped as the world around me fell silent. As soon as Kamilah's name was called for third place, I'd assumed that meant I hadn't placed. There was no way I could actually beat her or Madison, both who had extensive training and experience in dance. No way.