Chapter Nineteen: Conclusions

IN MY MERE five or so months as an actual teenager, I had picked up quickly that some things people say are never what they seem

We need to talk, is one of those things.

So, when incredibly, terrifyingly serious Meghan told me such a thing, I immediately started to panic. Because a conversation that starts off like that? It never ends well.

"Uh, sure Meg, what's up?" I asked, doing my best to keep my cool.

Her hazel eyes were hard as they bore into mine. She motioned with her head for me to follow her upstairs before turning and ascending ahead of me.

I followed dutifully, but in my head I wasn't merely following a friend up the stairs. I was following an executioner to the gallows.

It's no wonder Professor Mao always told me I had a knack for theater.

When we got to the second floor, Meghan veered left, away from Aimee's room, and lead me into the guest room I would be occupying for the unforeseeable future, before closing the door with a soft click.

I turned to face her, only to find she was still turned towards the door. My brow furrowed. "Meg? You mind telling me what's up? 'Cause I'm a little confused over here," I said, wrapping my arms around myself.

Meghan was silent for a moment. And then another.

Time ticked by as I watched her stand there, unmoving, not making a sound. I wanted to break the silence, to say something to one of the best friends I didn't deserve, but all of my words got stuck in my throat. Deep down, a piece of me knew what was about to happen, but I wasn't anywhere near prepared.

Not yet.

After a while of just watching her, I got up the courage to walk towards her. I reached out to touch her shoulder, only for her to whirl around before I could make contact.

The sight of the tears in her wide, sad eyes sent me stumbling back.

You did this.

"Meg?" I said softly. When she didn't respond, I took a hesitant step forward. "Meg?" I said louder, willing her to speak.