Chapter Twenty-Four: Reconciled

MY MOTHER AND I were sat on the couch in silence for a solid ten minutes after our tearful reunion

MY MOTHER AND I were sat on the couch in silence for a solid ten minutes after our tearful reunion. She'd fixed us each a cup of tea before we took to our opposing sides, neither wishing to be the first to break the silence.

Of course, I was the first to eventually speak, if only for the fact the couch could at best be compared to a concrete bench.

"I thought you guys were away this weekend," I mumbled into the lip of my tea cup.

She frowned, carefully setting her own cup and saucer down on the table like the well-bred English woman she was. "We were meant to be. But I was feeling under the weather yesterday, so your father went alone."

I made a non-committal noise as I took a small sip of tea.

My mother sighed then, placing her laced hands in her lap. "Scarlett, I would appreciate it if you would simply tell me what you want."

I choked on my tea, coughing roughly as I set down my cup. "I beg your pardon?"

"You have not been home in weeks and you have ignored every effort your father and I have made to contact you. If it weren't for Mrs. Tylers and her step-daughter informing us of your whereabouts, we would have gone mad with worry. You cannot just run off like that."

And it looked like we were just going to jump right into it.

I shifted, crossing my arms over my chest. "No, what I could not do was stay under this roof after you guys dropped an atomic bomb on me without any warning. I needed space."

"You acted like a child," she stated firmly.

Oh no, she didn't.

"I am a child, mother," I said, as my voice raised an octave. "I am seventeen years old. I have been seventeen years old for exactly six months. You can't just expect me to take a hit like that and just get back up ten seconds later, like nothing ever happened."

"Of course not, Scarlett! But running away like that, skirting your responsibilities to your family and skipping classes, was highly immature and uncalled for."