Chapter Sixteen: Goodnights

THE MOMENT NOAH closed the drivers' side door, I turned to face him

THE MOMENT NOAH closed the drivers' side door, I turned to face him. "Please, don't make me go home. I can't go back there," I shook my head incisively.

Noah reached out, grabbing my chin gently and making me look at him. "Hey, I won't make you go anywhere you don't want to go Scar."

I sighed with relief when he called me by that stupid nickname.

He cocked his head slightly and moved my chin to the side, allowing him to look at the side of my head. He frowned. "Does your head hurt?"

My head was pounding, partially from the alcohol I'd consumed, but also from the blow Declan had accidently landed on me. "Nothing I'm not used to," I murmured before quickly squeezing my eyes shut. Noah's grip on me tightened for a moment, and I knew I had said the wrong thing. I pulled my chin out of his hand and sighed, covering my face with my hands. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that."

We sat in silence for a moment, only the sounds of our breathing filling the car. After a while, I heard Noah take a deep breath and felt his warm hand prying my own off of my face. His fingers laced with mine before he pressed the back of my hand to his lips. "I'm sorry for all of that, Scar. None of that should have happened."

"Stop apologizing. It was my idea in the first place. I needed to get out of that house, away from those people. I just... I didn't want to be judged or coddled. You're the only person who treats me like I'm normal. I needed that."

Noah raised an eyebrow, looking at me with confusion. "Those people? You mean your parents?"

I shook my head sharply. "They're not my parents," I murmured.

Noah's face remained a mask of confusion for a moment before realization flashed in his eyes. "Scar..." he trailed off, but I had already turned my head to the window, drowning in my thoughts.

That was the first time I had said it out loud, and suddenly it all felt so real.

William and Charlotte Grey were not my parents. They were a couple who had been desperate for a child, and took advantage of a dying girl, taking her child and claiming her as their own. I would have been okay with it, but it was the fact they lied about it that made me so furious. They had not only lied to me, telling me I was their own little miracle baby, but they had let everyone they knew assume I was the baby Charlotte had lost that night.