Chapter Twenty-One: Paralyzed

WARNING:
This chapter contains a sensitive scene that may be triggering to some.

ON ANY GIVEN day, being surrounded by this many  people in such close proximity would have me running for the nearest exit

But tonight, I couldn't seem to give a shit. Whether it was my meds that claimed responsibility for my newfound freedom, or more likely the red cup in my hand that most definitely was not filled with punch, I didn't particularly care. I was more than glad to have a night with the voices in my head silenced and unable to remind me what a horrible person I was.

The house was filled with dozens of Summer Grove students, most of whom were wearing some form of red or black to celebrate. Every now and then, a lacrosse player could be seen sporting their jersey, a clean one thankfully, and the odd dance team member was still wearing her crop top paired with a normal skirt.

Once a fair amount of people had arrived, Aimee, Meghan, Violet, Aurora and I took to dancing around the living room while music from Meghan's playlist pounded from the speakers. I found that with each drink I had, I was enjoying the music more and more, until the point where I was almost singing along.

Eventually, Aurora was pulled away by her boyfriend, Tyler, and I couldn't help but feel sickened just looking at him.

On the other hand, Meghan was overjoyed when Mason pulled her away to dance. Aimee, Violet and I gave her discreet grins of encouragement. I'd long since figured out Meghan had a huge crush on him, even though she never talked about it, and I was truly happy for her tonight, despite our recent falling out.

Which left the three of us girls dancing together.

Up until then, I could admit that I was enjoying myself. It felt good to have adrenaline pumping through my veins for a good reason, to have a smile curving my painted lips because I was actually happy and not because I needed to pretend. I had managed to forget how fucked up my life was at the moment. I wasn't the girl who betrayed her best friend, who lied every day for the benefit of others, whose parents had lied to her from the day she was born. I was just Scarlett, an ordinary teenage girl celebrating a high school lacrosse game with a bunch of other teenagers.