Chapter Forty-Two: Memories

IT WAS JUST after nine o'clock, and I was well passed done with this formal

Don't get me wrong, the first hour I had spent dancing with my friends and dancing with Noah had been amazing. Really. But I was tired, and I just wanted to go home.

But I had made a promise, and so I had to endure one more hour, followed by a forty minute drive before I could be home safe and sound.

I had excused myself from our group in favor of  sitting at our little table at the side of the room. Noah, Aimee and Aurora has all volunteered to come and keep me company, but I shook my head and told them to keep having fun. I said I'd be back in a few minutes.

Fifteen minutes later, and I was still sitting alone. The rest of the students in the ballroom were gathering on the dance floor, awaiting the announcement of Snow King and Queen. While I was personally unphased by the concept of choosing a makeshift royal court in honor of a high school dance, I hoped the Aurora would win. For her sake. She'd had a rough month, and she deserved to be happy for at least one night.

As the president of the student's council took the stage to announce the King and Queen, I shifted by focus back to the phone in my hand. I typed out a quick text message to my mother, including a happy looking picture of Aimee, Meghan and I that I'd snapped earlier while we were dancing.

"You look like you're having the time of your life," a familiar deep voice mused behind my shoulder.

I turned in time to see Declan, clad in his unbuttoned suit jacket, taking a seat beside me. "You would know, wouldn't you?" I rolled my eyes, sliding my phone back into my clutch.

"And that's supposed to mean what exactly?" He asked, crossing his arms over his broad chest.

His golden eyes bore into mine. While Declan had all but mastered the art of not displaying any human emotion on his face, I'd recently come to notice that he couldn't hide it in his eyes. Sure he tried to— few people could hold his gaze for long with that hard stare he was oh so fond of— but the more time I spent around him, the more I started to notice little things I'd overlooked before.