Chapter Twenty-Nine: Betrayed

I PULLED AWAY from Noah and whirled around quick enough to give myself whiplash

"Aimee!"

The look on Aimee's face was like a knife stabbing directly into my heart. Her normally warm hazel eyes were wide in shock and disbelief, tears threatening to fall down her cheeks. Her jaw was set in anger, or perhaps fury was a more accurate description.

It was not Aimee Tylers, my best friend, standing in front of me. This was Amelia Tylers, a stranger I'd hurt and betrayed.

"Aimee, listen. Aimee, I can--"

Aimee held up both of her hands, shaking her head sharply. "God help me, Scarlett, if you say you can explain. I'm done. I am so done with your lies," she bit out, venom generously leaking into her voice.

It only took a second for hot tears to spill down my cheeks. This was it, my worst nightmare come true. It wasn't finding out my life was a dream, or being ripped from all of it once again by that monster. It was this: losing the people I loved right before my eyes, because of something I had knowingly done to myself.

When I said nothing, Aimee exploded. "How the hell could you do this to me, Scarlett?! After everything I did for you! Did our friendship mean nothing to you?!"

My lungs burned as a choked sob ripped its way from my chest. "I'm so sorry," I sobbed as one of my hands covered my mouth, the other pressing into my stomach. It was like I was trying to physically hold myself together while the searing pain in my heart tore me to pieces.

"Enough, Amelia," Noah snapped from behind me.

Took him long enough.

I almost agreed with the voice in my head, but when a warm arm circled my waist, holding me steady, the thought vanished. Because while it felt like minutes I had stood there crying while Aimee screamed, it had only been a matter of seconds. It wasn't hesitation before he spoke up, it was shock, much like I was still feeling myself.