Week 1: This Isn't What I Signed Up For

As a kid, I would daydream about being thrust into the world of the supernatural. It wasn't until I was eighteen that it became a reality.

I'm Dylan, and yes, I'm aware that it's typically a boy's name. (My parents wanted a boy, but they got me.) I wasn't anything special up until now. Just a normal teenager, finally done with the woes of high school. Exams, friends, and upcoming college plans. Quite honestly I was alright with that being the peak of how complex my life would become.

But no, that's not how life works. Just when you think you've got everything figured out, it throws you a curveball. 

And life threw me just about the biggest curveball.

Today I found out that I'm a synthe. What's that? Yeah, I'd like to know as well.

All I could get out of my drunken father is that I'm some sort of healer. 

Then, my best friend, Andri, came out to me. 

No, not like that. She's not gay. I'm half-gay, I guess, but that's not the point.

She's a witch. Think Harry Potter. It's just like that. 

She didn't know until about two weeks ago that she was a witch. 

Since both of us had no idea what we were getting into with all of this Supernatural crap, we decided to move to the capital of Supernatural crap-

Beacon Hills.

                                                                             ...

It was a big move, but we were happy to take the step.

Both Andri and I have had pretty tough lives, and so we were looking to start a new one.

                                                                              ...    

"So that's all he told you," Andri examined my facial expression from the driver's seat, "he didn't tell you anything more about what you are?"

I bit my lip, trying to remember last night. "Well he said more, but it's not exactly easy to extract words out of a drunk man's babble."

"I guess that's true," Andri smiled a little as she replied, "but I just wish we knew more. I'm a witch. That's simple-"

I interrupted her. "Except for the whole learning millions of spells and potions..."

"Well, yeah. That part isn't simple. But what the hell is a synthe? At least we know what I am. I have no idea what the hell you are." Andri smirked. 

It was always useless to argue with Andri. She was the type of person who could come up with a rebuttle within milliseconds. That's one of the things I really liked about her. 

"Well I don't know what I am either. I'd love to get a "Supernatural Life for Dummies" book but that's not really in the cards right now. I don't even think that the internet could help us out."

I sighed. I guess that's what you get for having an out-of-the-ordinary lifestyle. 

I felt like I was back in my freshman year of high school. Everything feels so new, but not in the good kind of way. It has the "I'm going to get trampled to death by a senior" feel to it instead.

The car stopped.

"And we're here!" Andri clapped excitedly. 

Andri and I had been staying at a small motel, because we were trying to find an apartment.

It's hard to find an apartment and start a life in a completely different place when you don't really have a lot of cash to spare.

I loved the room and Andri did too. Although it wasn't exactly the classiest place it was really close to this beautiful forest and that was our favorite part about it. The forest was supposedly private property, but we didn't really care. We told ourselves that as soon as we settled down in the apartment we'd take a walk there.

It looked peaceful, almost too peaceful. 

                                                                                    ...

"Well that's about it," Andri sighed, "I think that's all of our stuff. I can't wait until I know more spells so I can have spells do work for me." 

"More spells? I thought you said you didn't know any spells yet." I was curious. I knew that she was a fast learner, but I wasn't aware that she was that fast. 

Andri chortled. "I know stupid spells. I can turn on a light without touching it, but that's as far as my powers extend right now."

 "Noted. I'll make sure to call you if I'm ever too lazy to walk to the switch." I finished unpacking. Not that I really had much stuff to unpack. I mean, Andri and I only had one suitcase for the both of us. But, we were ready now to lock up the apartment and visit the forest.

                                                                                  ...

 "It's weird," I spoke, interrupting the sounds of crackling leaves and trees rustling together, "It's weird how when you know more about the world, you see it differently. It's like the world looks the same as it has all my life, but it feels unfamiliar." I squinted as I looked into the bright gray sky. 

Andri nodded understandingly. "It's like seeing a friend in a mask; recognizing some pieces, but the big picture looking different. I know how you feel. And it's confusing, yeah, but we've got this. And I bet you any moment now we'll meet someone super nice and we'll be able to build a life here."

Andri had a way of calming people. I knew that living here would be better than living with my father, but at least I knew what to expect when I lived with my father. Here, that's not the case. I have no idea-

"You do realize that this is private property, right?" A guy walked up to us, interrupting my train of thought. He was hot.

Feel free to trespass on my private property anytime.

I pulled myself together. "You're trespassing it just as much as we are, buddy." I pulled my shoulders back in pride. I totally just said that

He smirked condescendingly. "Cute. Actually, my family owned this property."

I took in a breath. "Owned. As in, past tense. Check and mate."
Now it was my turn to smirk condescendingly. 

Andri glanced at me. It's like she could read my mind. But that's alright, she was probably thinking about his hot ass just as much as I was. 

I mean, wow.

He rolled his eyes. "Alright. You got me."

Hot guy started to walk away. No! Come back!

"I wonder what his name is, probably something hot" I whispered to Andri.

Hot guy then turned around, and said, "Derek. Derek Hale."

Andri mocked his overly dramatic tone. "Andri. Andri Monroe."

I laughed. 

Derek looked at me, down then up again. "And your name is?"

"I'm Dylan. Like the boy's name, except I'm a girl."

He half-smiled. "Well hi, girl Dylan. And Andri," He started to walk away.

"Welcome to Beacon Hills," he said with a slightly sarcastic tone.

....................................................................................................................................................................................

Thanks for reading! Comment, vote, follow!! I update (at least, but most of the time more often) once a week so stay tuned! And if anyone has suggestions, message them to me and I'll put it in the storyline! Thanks so much. :)