Chapter twenty - Sunday night

Later that night I followed my usual Sunday routine. I changed into a comfy oversized top and shorts and put a Netflix series on the TV whilst making myself some dinner.

As per the norm, my mom was still away on some business trip and I was alone in an empty house. I had just finished washing the dishes after eating and was now flicking through the episodes on the Teen Wolf series when the doorbell rang.

My eyes glued to the front door which I could see from the kitchen.  

Could it be him? No, no, don't be so silly. He couldn't have found you here! But the video, of the fight Friday... Maybe it went Viral or something!

My heart sped up as it rang again, and I slowly shifted towards the door. I left the chain on, slightly opening it to see who was outside. A sight of relief left my lips when I saw who it was.

Aiden was stood on the step, the porch light is the only thing allowing me to see his features. He looked at me questionably, probably wondering why I looked so scared.

"Hi?" He said, sounding more questioning than a greeting.

"It's late, what are you doing here," I asked, not caring that we were still talking through the gap in the door.

He held a device in his outstretched arm, "My phone!" I was relieved, "where did you find it?"

He looked at me as if to ask me to take the chain on the door and stop being so ridiculous. To which I took the hint and did so.

"Yeah, Jessie found it when we were cleaning up at Masons yesterday night."

I moved to the side and allowed him to come in, shutting the door to barricade anymore of the chilly breeze to come inside the warm and cozy house.

"Wait... You only decided to give it to me now!"

"I didn't have it on me earlier in the hospital." He stated, glancing around the spacious area of my house. I could tell he was lying, by the way, he fidgeted his feet and shifted his gaze as he said so.

"Well, thanks." I huffed, making my way back to the island in the middle of the kitchen.

"So, how come you have no contacts or photos?" He asked me looking at the half made cake mix I was now adding flour too, "Or social media!"

"Did you go through my phone!" I threw the wooden spoon back into the bowl.

"Yes," he shrugged, not looking at all guilty for it, "but I thought you moved around a lot, where's all your other contacts? Old friends, family?"

I stopped him from talking but practically shouting, "It's a new phone!" That was kind of a lie... It was a new phone, but even if it wasn't I wouldn't have my old friend's contacts in it.

He narrowed his eyes at me, suspicious. I could tell he was trying to figure me out with all the questions he was bombarding me with, but I tried to look unbothered and innocent.

"If your done bothering me, as you can see I'm kind of busy." I calmly said, pouring the cake mixture into the pre-greased tin.

"Friday night when I drove you home," he continued, ignoring my request. "I got mad at you..."

"Look, its fine, we were all filled with emotions, and you were worried about Mason, we all react in different ways," I told him straight, not really believing myself.

"Look, I could have handled things differently!" He muttered, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Is that an apology I hear?" I arched my eyebrow, grinning as I closed the oven door and made my way closer to him.

"What I'm trying to say is, I shouldn't have blamed you..." He shuffled to the side, looking slightly uncomfortable.

We stood there for an awkward not making any eye contact, "well, I should probably get home..." He blurted out.

"Thanks for saving my ass Friday..." I let out as he began walking back towards the door. "And, for this." I held up my phone.

"I wasn't just going to let them hurt you..." He whispered.

This sent a warm feeling rush through my body, I don't know why; it's not like my prince charming just proclaimed his love for me or anything!

I followed him to the door and watched him as he walked down the first two steps, "and try not to misplace it again, I'm getting tired of bringing it back!" He said, referring to my phone. At first, I couldn't tell if he was joking or not, but he let a slight smile corner his lips before he turned and carried on walking.

I closed the door, leaning my back against it as I let out a breath when I hear his car's engine rev and drive off, the echo lingering through my quiet street for a few more seconds.

As I walked back into the kitchen my phone vibrated, Jade texted me asking me to call her about the Art project due in tomorrow.

As I flicked onto the contacts icon I noticed a new number entered. At the top of the contact list since it's alphabetical order, is Aiden's name and digits.