Chapter 3

"Nothing happened, Mako!"
You folded your arms over your chest as you glared up at your friend. His eyes pierced into yours with disbelieve and slight anger. You couldn't blame him though. The way Tahno made it seem like something happened between the both of you must have sounded extremely suspicious. But you knew this was how Tahno liked to play.
You angrily grabbed his wrist and removed his hand from your jaw. You rubbed your finger along the slightly sore skin and scoffed.
"Then what the hell was he talking about?! If you're messing with me, I swear-" You snorted at his attempt to threaten you. Maybe Mako seemed like a tough guy, but he could barely even insult you if he really tried. He was like a big brother to you, but you were afraid he returned somewhat different feelings.
"You'll do what? Kick me off the team? I'm fine with that..." You averted your eyes away from his and scoffed. You bit your lower lip and slowly shook your head. Mako sighed and took a step back, still looking straight at you.
"If I'll ever find you in another situation like that, I won't hesitate to do so..." His voice seemed rather unsure, but the sincerity made your eyes widen. You looked up at him, but before you could respond to his statement he had walked off, leaving you alone. Your eyes followed his appearance and watched as he walked back into to changing rooms. Your mouth was still slightly agape and you still had to process what he had just said. Was he serious? He wouldn't kick you off the team... right?
You tried to shrug it off, and cleared your throat before walking out of the arena.

-----

"Is something wrong? You haven't even touched your food..." You looked up at Asami, who stared at you with a worried expression. You gave her a small smile, trying not to show any sign of stress or discomfort. You nodded and started to eat from your bowl of noodles, talking to Asami with a mouthful.
"Yeah, I'm fine... Just a little tired from practice!" Asami smiled and nodded. You internally exhaled deeply in relieve as she fell for it. You looked down at your bowl and grimaced slightly. You were not hungry at all, and just wanted to go home and get some rest. Even though you loved spending time with Asami, she was not what you needed at the moment. You sighed, gaining your friends attention again.
"Hey, Asami, I'm really sorry, but I think I'm gonna head home. I'm dead tired." She nodded and offered you a genuine smile. She placed her slender hand on your shoulder and squeezed it gently.
"That's fine! I'll see you tomorrow at practice, okay?" Your lips curved into a smile and you nodded.
"Thanks for understanding, Asami..." As you stood up, you gave her a small bow out of respect, then left her apartment to head home. You grabbed your bag on your way towards the front door and flung the heavy thing over your shoulder. You groaned slightly at the weight, but quickly closed the door behind you and left Asami's apartment.
As you walked home, you admired the stars above you. It was already dark and the streetlights glowed up the whole city. And in combination with the stars it really was an amazing view. You took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, smiling to yourself as you finally could clear your thought a bit. But your short 'alone' time was quickly interrupted by someone shouting. Your head snapped towards the sound, and your eyes narrowed.
"Get away! Don't make me-" Your eyes widened. You dropped your bag and quickly started running towards the voices. You turned a corner and stopped running. In front of you was Tahno. Hand tied behind his back and his face harshly pushed to the ground. A group of five was surrounding him, two of them holding him down, as the other three were discussing with each other. Tahno groaned in pain as they tied his ankles together and you gritted your teeth at the sight.
"Hey!" Tahno's head shot up at your voice and so did the ones of his abductors. You felt a shiver crawl up your spine as you finally noticed the masks they were wearing. 'Equalists' You thought and took another step towards them. Tahno groaned and narrowed his eyes at you.
"I don't need your help..." You rolled your eyes and positioned yourself in a defensive pose. The Equalists chuckled behind their masks, making it sound rather disturbing. You knew what they could do. Maybe they couldn't bend, but by using their newly invented shock systems they could easily paralyze a person. You watched them intently as the three pulled out their zappers and approached you.
"Yeah, because you seem perfectly fine at the moment..." You snapped back at the stubborn guy. He started trashing around, trying to free his arms so he could bend. As he did so, two of the three men started to attack you, but before they could reach you, you had floored them face first to the ground. They both groaned in pain, but you barely had time to recover when the third abductor had started to attack. His zapper had come dangerously close to your face, but you were able to dodge it. As he aimed for your leg, you pushed your leg into his shoulder, sending him flying backwards. Using water from your water bottle, you quickly used it to cut Tahno's roped. He smirked and used his free hands to bend, sending shots of water. The two that had held him down had already grabbed his feet again, but when he shot one against his shoulder, he screamed in pain and let go. Tahno chuckled deeply, and joined you by your side to fight against the five Equalists.
"You okay, pretty boy?" You couldn't help but smirk at your own statement, but apparently Tahno could also see some fun in it.
"Better than ever..." His lips curled back into his usual smirk, and he blew his fringe out of his face. His eyes were concentrated on the group in front of him, not noticing someone sneaking up from behind the two of you. You shot a string of water towards one of the Equalists, when you suddenly felt an extreme shock of pain fill your body. You screamed out on pain and fell to the ground, your vision immediately fading away. Tahno's eyes widened and he turned to you.
"Y/n!" But as he wanted to approach you, he was zapped by someone. He copied your actions and screamed in pain, but instead of passing out immediately, they had to zap him once more. He had never experienced such an intense feeling of pain, it almost felt unreal. He bit on his lower lip to contain his screams, but eventually let go. His body felt weak, and before he passed out he took one last glance at you.

"Y-Y/n..."