Chapter 15

"I don't recall ever meeting you."

You furrowed your eyebrows at his weak attempt of lying, it was evident in his eyes that he was startled by your presence. Assuming the people working under him had voluntarily joined the Equalists, you forced him to own up to his past by using your bending.

You began to rapidly fire shots at him, and while his eyes widened, he skillfully dodged every single one of them. After you paused, he recomposed himself, and pulled a dagger from the hem of his suit, twirling it between his fingers before grabbing the handle and holding it up to his face.

"Last warning. Leave or die." He spoke, eyeing the way you prepared for another attack. The people by his side seemed curious, and they loosened their stance. Taking the opportunity, you used the moment to freeze them in place, and Tahno charged one the water hit their bodies. You cursed under your breath, not having enough time to freeze them as Tahno neared you. Cancelling your move, you dodged one of Tahno's blades and jumped to the side. 

But Tahno was quick, and before you even landed, his foot had set into your stomach and had you crashing against the grocery store wall with harsh impact. A groan slipped past your lips, and your hand clutched over the hurt area. It had gotten a little hard to breath, but at least you were still strong enough to dodge Tahno's attack once more. You rolled over and evaded how he meant to plant his foot into your head, missing and leaving an imprint in the wall instead. 

"Tahno, stop this! I thought you freed yourself from them!" You called out towards him, and blocked a powerful blow to your side. You moaned in pain as he hit your arm instead, and your pupils dilated as there was an evident crack coming from the spot he had hit. Tahno smirked at the sound, and continued his attack. Luckily you were skilled enough to block every blow, except for a powerful kick to your leg, which had you trembling on your knees at the way it throbbed. There's a deep groan escaping your throat, and you worried your leg might be broken. Nonetheless, you stay on your feet, ready to charge once more.

"I warned you. Don't get in my way." He responded, and narrowed his eyes at you. He snaps his finger at once of his underlings, and without hesitation, they hand him their weapon, the zapper the Equalists were known for. He pushed the button and electricity flares around the object in dangerous patterns. You cursed under you breath and stepped back, not at all in shape to take him on while he uses the zapper.

"Tahno, please. " You begged, stepping away as he moved towards you in a fast pace. You prepared yourself for the sting of the zapper, but while lights flash in front of your eyes, there's no sign of impact. 

You looked up and notice the way Tahno's eyes widened. He swallowed thickly, and tried to recompose. Glancing over your shoulder you saw a certain figure, one of the only persons that could shut Tahno down. He towered over you, almost ignoring your presence, but startling you as he pulled you up and back on your feet.

"D-Dad." Tahno states, and the man looks down at him with an intimidating gaze. You're pushed to the side, and he proceeded to approach his son.

"So you decide to abandon everybody to join the Equalists?" He spoke with a raised voice, leaving Tahno to swallow thickly and retreat. He snapped his fingers,k and the underlings scatter within seconds. Tahno wanted to follow, but he's grabbed by his father. Tahno attacks, wanting to land a powerful to his face, but his hand is grabbed and he is forced to surrender under Kahzu's strength. Tahno struggled and cursed under his breath.

"Father, you don't understand. I did it to protect you." Tahno snaps through his teeth, moaning in pain as the strain around his wrist increases. His father seemed to get even more agitated, and you flinched as Tahno cries out in pain.

"Does it feel like I need protection?" He asked rhetorically, and he increased the pressure around Tahno's wrist. There was an evident crack, followed by another groan of pain from the water bender, and you can't stand it anymore. Grabbing the zapper that Tahno had dropped, you placed it against Kahzu's nape, and zap him without mercy. 

The man groaned in pain, and was forced to release Tahno. He stumbled back and held his throbbing wrist in his hand, eyebrows furrowing at the way it began to bruise. 
His father doesn't fall unconscious, and instead seemed slightly disorientated for a moment. Your eyes met Tahno's, and he ignored the look in your eyes. His eyes fixated on Kahzu, and with a powerful kick, he forced him unconscious. 

You swallowed thickly and had a hard time keeping yourself on your feet. Tahno approached you, and you smiled in response, thinking that he came to help. Instead he pulled the zapper from your grip and held it against the side of your neck.

"No mercy. No fear." He said, and pushed the button, leaving you beside Kahzu, as he proceeded to stumble towards the small shop and burn it down.  There's heat radiating onto the side of your face, but there was nothing you could do. You were forced to feel how the flames ate the building, and you were now the witness of one murder. 

Tahno left. Mask covering his face once more, and offering a single look towards you and his father, before disappearing within the shadows.