Chapter 11

The cold wall was chaving against the skin of his back, causing the pale skin to be covered in scratches. Tahno groaned under the pressure Kaito held against his throat, and it didn't take long before his sight became blurry due to lack of oxygen.
Mako took a step towards them, immediately receiving a warning glare from the masked man.

"A fire bender, huh?" Kaito released Tahno, who dropped to the floor with a thud and began to gasp for air. Mako eyed the huge man, inspecting the metal prosthetic arm and the weapons that were probably hidden underneath his cloak. He coated Mako's presence with his shadow, forcing him to swallow thickly and shiver under the intimidating gesture.

"How do you know I'm a fire bender?" He asked, trying to sound as confident as he was before he had towered above him and focused his attention on him. Tahno was still trying to catch his breath, and Mako noticed the skin in his neck bruise from the impact. He could tell this man was powerful not only because of his broad frame, but also because of his intimidating presence. He knew he was strong, and he took that as an advantage to scare others.

"Every bender has the same look in his eyes. Determined, confident, disgustingly heroic. It was a mere guess you bended fire, but alas, I was right." Kaito moved his cloak out of the way, showing off his heavy prostethic and all the weapons he held. He pointed towards the fire bender, before clenching his hands into fists.

"Benders are the reason innocent people get killed. You gained powers that only cursed war upon our cities. This rebellion is the only thing that can stop it, even if it means killing every single bender alive."

"You bastard..." Tahno wheezed in the background, and to his own disadvantage he grabbed the focus of Kaito yet again. The man had almost forgot why he was here, but as he saw the still heaving guy on the ground he grabbed him by his throat yet again. Tahno felt his eyes water, this time much quicker out of breath than the previous time he was pressed against the wall like this.

"It's scum like you that messed up this society... and th worst thing is that you don't even realise it."

Mako moved closer, positioning himself into a fighting stance, ready to attack if things got serious, which they did very quickly. Kaito completely ignored his existence, even when he called out to him. The man was too focussed on the Tahno, who became paler and paler by the second.

"Especially you, Tahno. You were rightfully corrupted, but decided on becoming like your father after all. Pathetic." His hand squeezed tighter around his throat, and at this point Tahno had already accepted his fate of dying in the hands of his former torturer. he was only able to let out gasps. His hands clawed at the metal prosthetic, trying to get him to budge just the slightest bit. But it was pointless. 

At one point Mako couldn't wait anymore, and with regret he called out your name. Maybe this hadn't been the plan after all, but if he waited any longer, Tahno could be dead.

"___, now!" He called out, and Kaito's head snapped towards the call. Within seconds the man was covered in water and frozen on the spot, his hand still wrapped around Tahno.

From the roof of the building, you dropped down into the alley, quickly looking if the masked man was indeed restricted and not able to react to your surprise attack. As you walked up to him, you noticed Tahno's limbs suddenly going limp, and with a last hitch of his breath he slipped from Kaito's hand and fell to the floor, his eyes rolling into the back of his head. You cursed under your breath and sprinted towards him.

Two fingers pressed under his jaw, and as you felt a heartbeat against your fingertips you sighed in relieve.

"Mako, he's alive. Help me carry him!" He nodded in response and instead offered to carry him on his back, sprinting behind you before Kaito could escape the confines you forced him into.

As Mako followed you through the streets of the city Tahno suddenly gasped out of nowhere, but when you asked him if he was okay, he seemed dazed and unable to respond. This was bad.

"Let's bring him to my place, we should be safe there. For now at least."