Chapter 18: Welcome to the Cult

A search party had been arranged to find Tahno, and by now wanted posters scattered the streets of Republic city. Kahzu was arrested after proven guilty for abuse, however, to your dismay he was left on probation because of his political background.

A sense of uncertainty spread with every detail the police confirmed, and the citizen began te get unnerved.

Murders, fires, crimes continued, seemingly even increasing each week, and you wondered when the time would come that the equalists would actually attack. When they would overthrow the political system and claim the ground of republic city as their own. They were getting very close as of now.

The police didn't seem to take matters seriously, figuring benders would always have the advantage against non-benders, but after your experiences, that was far from true. The weapons and expertise they held could possibly overthrow any bender, even the avatar. They were powerful, and none of these police pigs seemed to realize.

You couldn't sit still. You never could.

Tahno was out there, and while you wished you could forget his entire existence, he didn't deserve to be held captive by a man like Kaito. Who definitely abused him just as bad as his father once did, probably even worse. The longer his absence, the more your thoughts started gnawing at your conscience, until the only thing you could think of was to commit.

Leaving everyone behind. Mako, Bolin, Asami, Korra...

This was a one person only mission, and you didn't want to force anyone into this anymore.

You had never expected to return to this place. It had been a miracle already that you found the location of their facility. It had taken you only 2 days to find out about it, casually mentioning your interest while talking to non-benders, and eventually you found someone who would introduce you to their cult. He seemed eager to take you, perhaps a little too eager, and you knew you needed to stay alert as he took you through the many tunnels of their building.

He wore his mask, told you about how you needed to take many commitment tests before finally starting your training. He was aware you were a bender, but it had occurred before that they turned benders into equalists, just as they had done to Tahno.

"How long have you been a part of this?" You ask him, his baby blue eyes meeting you as he turns to you.

"About a year or so."

"Why did you join?"

He chuckles and you figure that he's smiling at your question beneath his mask.

"Is this some kind or interrogation?" He shakes his head, "I used to work for a firebender. He treated me like shit... Kaito was in our shop once when he lashed out at me. Kaito defended me and after the whole incident asked me to join Amon."

You nod at his story, which seems to be quite similar to every other equalist you discovered. There had been only a few joining because of actual convincing, instead of experience.

"I wonder how Kaito will feel about you... not a lot of benders usually want to join."

Kaito? Is that where he was taking you?

Cold sweat beaded at your forehead thinking about the giant. If he was the one you had to meet, you were definitely dead. 

You wrap your arms around yourself, trying to shake off the rising anxiety. The sound of footsteps against wet concreet fills the silent air, and it takes you a few minutes before you dare to ask another question.

"Do you think every bender is as cruel?" You ask him with genuine curiosity. The guy shrugs, however seems indifferent about the reason why.

"No, not every bender is. But, if we continue living in their shadows, perhaps they will be."

You don't agree, but you do understand. And from the perspective he offers you, it suddenly makes much more sense. Not all equalists were murderers as well. They were rebels, trying to stand up for themselves. To make sure their actions were just as valid as those of benders, and they shouldn't be looked down upon.

The guy beside you never hurt anyone if you believe his words, and he doesn't want to. There are more like him, yet you only experience the aggressive, violent ways of their believe. Being undercover offers you a different outlook on their situation, and that seems to be just what you needed to understand Tahno, and perhaps the best way to find him, and talk him out of it.

The two of you continue to walk beside one another silently for what seems like hours. But, there seems to be an end to your everlasting walk, as you finally reach an opening. To your surprise, it is the same room you and Tahno were taken to previously. 

There's torches placed in each corner of the room. The walls are covered in muck, and mold, and the sound of dripping water echo's through the tunnels of the underground maze. 

You slightly grimace at the sight of it, and it didn't exactly smell amazing either.

The two of you seemed to be the only ones there, but the sound of voices could be heard coming from behind one of the walls. Mumbles. Impossible to actually hear what they were saying. 

You look towards your companion. He seems completely undisturbed, patiently waiting for someone to show up as he stares towards the wall in front of you.

Before your impatience takes a toll on you, a wall slides open, and a cloaked figure walks into the room. His entire frame is covered by the large black fabric, with his eyes covered by a pair of goggles. He's broad, fit, but still lean compared to Kaito.

"What are you doing here?" 

Your head snaps towards blue-eyes, who seems to copy your look of uncertainty. His eyes roam up and down the figure, before he crosses his arms over his chest in an act of defiance.

"I was supposed to meet Kaito."

"He send me in his place instead."

Your eyebrow twitches at the voice, immediately recognizing the slow drawl and the vibrations in his voice. Your guide scoffs, and at first seems to walk towards Tahno, however when he's near him, he just dodges and walks straight ahead into the secret entrance, leaving the two of you alone.

"The hell are you thinking." Tahno starts, finally removing the hood of his cloak and pushing off his goggles. You exhale in relieve at the sight of him, and you can finally crack a smile at him. 

He's about to open his mouth, before you interrupt him.

"I'm here to submit."

Those words were the last thing he had expected to come from you. His jaw drops slightly, but he manages to compose himself as he clears his throat.

"You're serious?" He mocks with a sarcasm, eyes looking you up and down.

You smirk and nod, to which he sighs. His hands pat against his cloack, seemingly searching for something, before fishing another pair of goggles from one of it's pockets. He throws it at you, and you clumsily manage to catch it, before looking expectantly up at Tahno.

He winks, and your cheeks heat up under his stare.

"Let's get you to training, then."