Chapter 12

"So what do we do now? You have a wanted Equalist traitor laying in your bed.... they're probably out there looking for him!"

While most of the time you could agree with Bolin, at this moment the last thing you needed was a reminder of the thing that was hunting you down. So with a warning glare you huffed at Bolin, shutting him up in an instant and sighing as he apologized.

Mako eyed the situation, from the water bender laying unconscious in your bed, to the the way you and Bolin bickered. He couldn't recall how he had gone from arguing with you over Tahno, to him trying to help him escape from his potential kidnapper.

"I think the first thing we need to do is collect all the information we have... Y/n, what do you have?" Mako offered, seating himself at the kitchen table and leaning his head against his fist as he began to dig through his own mind. With a nod you joined him, lacing your fingers together in front of you and clearing your throat to gain their attention.

"I wasn't supposed to tell you, but his life is in danger right now, and so is ours. They've seen our faces, Mako and mine at least." Mako had talked with you about going to Tahno's house, what happened, what he had told you and in what position you actually where.

"Tahno used to work for the Equalists. His bending began to develop on a rather late notice, and he was labelled unworthy by his father... the man despised him. Someone took him in, and told him to fight for the Equalists and try to refrain from using his bending."

There was a silent tension in the air, because everyone was aware of the power these people had. And if Mako hadn't realized it before, his encounter with Kaito was more than enough to convince him. These people were merciless, not afraid to kill if they had to. Kaito wouldn't have hesitated to kill Tahno, and he almost did if it wasn't for Mako and you.

"The only thing we don't know is who that man was. We know he has a prostethic arm, and he is strong enough to overpower Tahno, even without his bending, but he was easy to startle as I did manage to freeze him pretty easily..."

"He didn't try. You're underestimating him." 

The three of you jumped at the sudden voice, all turning towards the sound in sync and turning silent as you looked at Tahno. You hadn't realized he had woken up, not having heard a single thing as he joined the conversations.

He looked terrible. His skin was even paler than normal, and there were bruises imprinted all around his throat. Blue and purple, staining his skin and looking absolutely horrendous. His eyes were red, as if he hadn't been sleeping for days and the bags under his eyes were almost as dark as his bruises.

"Tahno..."

"Kaito could kill the avatar if he felt like it. He let you go off easy this time, but next time he's not gonna be as generous." Tahno voice was hoarse, and it sounded like his vocal cords had been ripped out. You figured it must have felt that way nonetheless. 

Tahno shuffled towards the table and took a seat at the head, holding his head with his right hand and groaning at the aching feeling behind his eyes.

"The best thing to do is run. Fighting them will not end well."

Mako's jaw almost dropped. The Tahno who he had known to be somewhat violent, cocky and extremely arrogant was actually backing off from a fight... and while he found this extremely illogical, it must really be as dangerous as you had spoken of if Tahno wasn't hesitating to flee from it. 

"What do you suppose we do?" You questioned him, eyes meeting his silver ones for a split second and seeing nothing but determination and fear in his light orbs. He chuckled, a sound that was rather foreign to the three of you.

"Did you hear what I said? We can not win this fight, Y/n. We have zero chance of winning." Tahno smiled as he said this, a faint line between actual amusement and insanity. His eyes were wide in fear, but his lips were curved in entertainment. You shrugged in response.

"We can't do nothing. I'm not going to live the rest of my life in fear."

"I rather fear my whole life than die a gruesome death."

"Tahno, if we fight we can set not only us, but the whole city free from their-" 

You all jumped as he slammed his fist onto the table, forcing silence over your words and refusing to meet your eyes as he snapped at you. 

"We can't! We run or we die, there's no other way out of this!" He almost yelled, before a fit of coughs ripped through his throat. The three of you stared as he tried to catch his breath, and you swallowed thickly when thinking about how powerful Kaito could be if this was him being somewhat gentle to Tahno.

After he stopped coughing, he sighed and covered his bruised neck with his hand, ashamed of the effect Kaito had on him. He rose from his seat and headed for the door, ignoring all your remarks about asking him to stay. He turned back once more, finally showing something you had been desperate to see from him weeks ago, but now it broke your heart, maybe even shattered it.

With tears threatening to fall he swallowed the lump in his throat and opened his mouth. Mako's eyes widened at his shaky voice, and Bolin looked away at the sight.

"I can't die, Y/n.  I won't give him the pleasure of killing me. "