Chapter 1, Another Day of Hell

Chapter 1

My name is Vera Thurmont; being a werewolf and all that, I’m not really that exciting.  So in my hundred word summary about myself; I enjoy long strolls on the beach, beating up random guys and pissing off the poor guys forced to man the check outs, unable to decide which brand of gun I would prefer.

Gee life’s a breeze……well when you’re a werewolf anyways.

Now eighteen years old, the apparently perfect year to find a mate and stubborn as ever, what is the point of life?

The months of wandering on my own have hardened me, meeting rogues who would rather see me dead has been my biggest challenge but most of all; the months have helped me grow a hardened outer shell, my protection against those who wish to mess with my feelings.

True to my word, I did try to go back to Crescent Pack after my little six month probation was up but when I got there, the place smelt off.

You know that feeling you get when you return home and just something is eating away inside you and telling you to run in the opposite direction; this was that feeling.

After doing a bit of snooping around and killing one of the lookouts, I knew someone else had taken over and my presence was definitely not welcomed there.

Every trail I ever knew was changed, the ground worn in different places; leaving lengthy grass to cover my tracks.

Being a solely werewolf town, there was no need to cover up from humans, although one would occasionally pass through.  Plenty of warning had also been given if there was a human intruder; Alpha Toby always had the job of escorting them through the town where they needed to go, before anyone grew suspicious.

Being a good couple of kilometres hike to my house, the trees provided excellent cover, along with the vacant houses I would pass every so often.

Although I could only catch the smell every couple of breaths, a crisp scent reminding me of the old bonfires we used to have still lingered in the air.

Sneaking into my old house, it still laid empty; dried blood was smeared up the fridge door as if the murder had only occurred yesterday.  I was sure to check that the old house was definitely unoccupied; my stomach feeling unsettled with strange scents present. 

In my room though there was a note left addressed to me.  Walking over to my dresser, everything looked almost the same as when I had left except that my room had been turned upside down like whoever did it was looking for something. 

The note aroused my curiosity, my steps becoming slow as I studied the note sitting there with my name written on it.   What I couldn’t understand was why would these punks leave this note here, when clearly I don’t live here anymore?

Dear Vera,

We are sorry for what we did

Every day without you we regret but now we are at war,

When we kicked you out of the pack we were trying to teach you the importance of following the rules but now we feel we have failed as parents.

We realise we will never see you again and that maybe we should have given you another chance.

Please stay safe and remember we only tried to do what was best

Love Mum and Dad        xxx