Chapter 4, Cake For Breakfast!

Chapter 4

Waking up I felt very refreshed and it was obviously quite early in the morning as I looked out to see the sun rising over the horizon.

I expected Cody to join me last night since this was his room so we could make it clear what the boundaries were around here but he never did, so I just assumed he was smart enough to stay the hell away.

Quickly changing into my other set of clothes from my bag, I had a pair of jeans accompanied by an old t-shirt that was two sizes too big; being just one of the items I stole from my brother Dingo before I left.

Opening my bedroom door, I was surprised to find that it actually wasn’t locked, the place actually having some sort of homely feel to it.

Walking down the stairs, I didn’t even bother to wait for anyone to take me wherever I was meant to go as the smell of coffee wafting from the kitchen acted as my guide.

Coming through the doorway, I froze as I saw the Beta sitting at a stool, facing away from me reading some map or something.

‘Morning Vera; coffee’?

 Scoffing I strutted past the Beta, feeling irritated that he had purposely let the coffee waft through the house just to draw me down here into the kitchen.  It was a smart plan but I was clearly not impressed.

Looking through the kitchen, I found the mugs soon enough and poured myself a cup of coffee from the fancy machine, walking over to the window and looking out at the surrounding trees.

The sun glimmered off the trees as it rose over the tree line, making me wish I could be outside, perched on some hill to witness the magnificent sunrise.

‘Are we playing the silent treatment now?  I thought we could be friends Vera’?

Apparently this Beta was going to drive me up the wall, hearing him move in his seat, I turned to see the Beta staring at me; ‘I’m Charlie, if it makes you feel better, you can owe me your life’.

Waving him off, I turned back to the window; barely caring what this low life had to say.

I could hear the small chuckle, barely even registering behind me, already knowing this Charlie character found me amusing.

‘Authority isn’t something you’re familiar with is it’?

Ignoring Charlie’s words, I soon felt his presence right behind me; ‘maybe you need a bit of a push……..’

Pressing his finger into my back, a low growl erupted through my lips making him unable to hold back his chuckle taking a step back; ‘easy tiger, if I wanted a fight, I would have dealt with you before…..’

Turning to look at Charlie, my eyes met his and to be honest I could see the guy was surprised.  Maybe it was the lack of friendship that I was showing; he obviously wasn’t getting my message.

My wolf was telling me to put him in his place, like his smart comments automatically made us outrank him somehow.

Seeing the challenge, Charlie backed down; holding his hands up in defense, ‘okay I don’t want to fight!  I just want to have a conversation is that so hard’!

I mirrored Charlie with my own chuckle; this guy was hysterical, petrified of me one second then annoyed I won’t talk to him the next, maybe I should lighten up a bit for him.

‘What do you want to know Charlie’?

Charlie’s eyes lit up as he went to sit back on his stool; ‘Hallelujah, she finally speaks!  And what a pretty voice she has as well’!