Chapter 35, The War Is On!

Chapter 35

Sitting in the large bed that was supposed to be mine for the night, I didn’t want and couldn’t let go of Cody as he tried to pry me off.

‘Vera I have to go, please our pack needs me’.

I don’t think I’d ever come so close to crying since being with Cody; my fingers were digging into his back as he sat next to me, his head resting on my shoulder in our embrace.

Whimpering, Images flooded my mind of Cody being torn apart or killed even; maybe this was why he wanted to leave me at home, this room smelt so off so different to Cody’s.

‘’Vera, I will be back in the early hours of the morning; please get some rest’.

My head now turned up as my eyes looked into his, Cody looked pained to see me this way; like a helpless child clinging to her parents for dear life.

His soft voice was only making it harder for me to let him go; ‘I promise when I get back, I will curl up to you and stay here with you into the late hours of the morning, I promise’.

How could Cody say such empty promises, he knew there was a chance he wouldn’t come back but that chance was small to him, he wasn’t even bothered by it.

The only second that passed when my arms relaxed a little into his back, Cody ripped me off him, my body now centimetres away from him.

His lips crashed down on mine, my whole body felt like it was being set alight; the heat of the moment not being enough to satisfy me as he let go, getting to his feet quickly.

A tear sitting on my lid, waiting to run down my face, scurried over to sit right on the edge, almost next to Cody as he looked at me.

‘Can’t I just play the sappy romance for one night; please stay’.

This small exchange of words was enough for Cody to give a small smile as he turned to walk out of the room.

Our eyes now pulled apart as it felt like my heart was being dragged along with Cody, leaving me in a vacant body.

‘I love you Vera’.

Shutting the door quietly, I still sat there; my eyes staring at the back of the door as my ears listened to every step Cody took that lead away from this room.

Even looking out the window didn’t help me as the minutes passed and then all of a sudden a thunderous pack of wolves shot past the house; their destination, the rogue pack that took me.

Running downstairs as I listened effortlessly to the wolves passing by the house; I practically sprinted into the lounge room where Chase soon jumped in my path, his eyes looking at me like he could do something.

‘Vera, you have to stay; you won’t be safe’.

Groaning, I didn’t even fight with Chase, knowing he was right.  Jumping over and slumping on the couch, I watched as Chase continued his game that he was playing.

Realising this was the same game Rob had been playing; I did my best to bag out Chase since I wasn’t allowed to do anything else around here.

‘Why do you play such a slow game; you need an action one not this stealthy stuff’?

Chase seemed to admire my opinion, pausing the game as he pointed to the games; ‘okay, well you find one I should play then’.

Walking over to the cabinet, my eyes scanned the games as I immediately found Halo amongst them; the disk looking like it had barely been touched.