Chapter 40, Still Alive

Chapter 40

The loud howl echoed off the trees as Gerald now took off; racing through the scrub as I saw like a flash, a wolf jump at him, his teeth taking their turn and now ripping Gerald to shreds as he tried to fight back, unprepared.

I watched as another three wolves jumped out from the trees coming for me, my head resting on the ground as I could barely make out their shapes.

The blood coming from my nostrils was dripping in the dirt in front of me, my eyes focused on its constant slow dripping as I saw a pair of feet walk up to me; the scents all mixing together as I couldn’t make out who it was.

‘Vera, you have to shift back’.

Did I know that voice, maybe I did?  Seeing someone now kneeling in front of me, I tried to pull my head away so I wasn’t looking at him, I didn’t want him to see the weakness in my eyes.

Looking around another hazy figure was walking up next to me, his form looking human to me, I must have been seeing things was that Cody?

‘I’m sorry Vera’.

Feeling the person in front of me now take hold of my head, I growled, growing uncomfortable with whomever this was; maybe the humans had found me that would be bad news.

The person clasped their hand around my nose, the air supply being cut off; my mind panicking that I was about to be suffocated.

I felt another hand stroking my fur, their fingers running down my back, the feeling leaving a fire trail, reminding me of Cody’s touch.

Still trying to pull away from the person’s grip no me, my lungs couldn’t take much more of this torture; I was going to pass out soon if they didn’t stop.

The hand that trailed down my back now went to rest between my ears, the soft circle motion making me want to relax but I couldn’t knowing I was being suffocated.

‘Let go Vera, Jeff is trying to help you, please’.

That was Cody’s voice, it had to be; my vision was growing more foggy as I still tried to struggle, my last pull using up the last of my energy as I slumped down, the darkness down clouding my vision, my body feeling the need to shift.

Losing consciousness, I could hear people murmuring, everything then went quiet and the pain ceased my body relaxing as I fell into my long awaited sleep.

I was lying on the ground, my wolf curled up like I had been asleep.  Looking up, there was the boy James, his happy face still there as he looked at me.

‘Hi Doggy’!

The kid was running over to me, his arms immediately engulfing me in a hug, he was laughing about something as well, the scared look I remembered gone from his face.

‘Why you here Doggy, Mummy will be angry if she sees you’?

Licking the kid’s face, he stepped back rubbing his sleeve against his skin.  ‘That’s yucky Doggy’!

Chuckling, this kid was so innocent; he looked at me like I was his pet dog, not even concerned that I was bigger than him.

Just as I was watching him, James ran around behind me, my head turning to look at him as he walked right up next to me, his hands grazing the edge of my fur.

‘You’re soft Doggy’

Trying to turn and lick the kid, he climbed onto my back leg and then proceeded to grab strands of my fur as he jumped up, pulling himself up onto my back; his form cuddling me once he got there.