Chapter 5, Part of a Pack

Chapter 5

Walking back downstairs, I practically ran into the lounge room, hoping over the back of the lounge and landing next to Charlie, whose eyes were now glued to the television screen.

Snorting, I poked him in the shoulder, now noticing Cody sitting across from us on a one seater chair; looking a little annoyed with what I had just done.

‘Charlie, give me the controller……’

Charlie quickly glanced at me, before his eyes automatically snapped back to my direction, with his Spartan driving into a creek then led towards a waterfall.

‘You’re so clean!  Did Alpha Cody force you to shower or something; I can actually smell you instead of the forest for once’.

Growling, I gave Charlie a good push, making him die on Halo; ‘WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU’!

Geeez, talk about getting his panties in a knot, Charlie was fuming now his game was over.  Sitting the controller down on the arm next to him, I took the opportunity to lean over and swipe it from him, seeing Charlie’s eyes absorbing the game over sign on the screen.

‘My turn……’

I heard as Charlie sucked in a breath, taking my scent in as I leant over, making me quickly duck back to my side of the couch, feeling unprotected.

‘Would you stop with the sniffing’!

Charlie gave me a smirk, ignoring the growl he gained from Cody; ‘I was just curious…..that’s all’.

Curious; what on earth could that idiot be curious about?  Obviously I’m going to smell like me, what else did he hope to gain from taking a big whiff?

Soon enough Cody come to sit in between Charlie and me, making me cringe into the corner of the lounge, never sure of what that guy was planning.

I should have known this would be another one of those famous question sessions; ‘Charlie, do you think you could leave us for a bit’?

Charlie looked at Cody before obviously getting the message it was leave or be forced as he got up, skipping over to the front door before stepping out without a word.

Great, now it was just me and the big bad wolf; likely to turn on me any minute, as I loaded up level one, trying to get my Spartan past all the covenant that popped up out of nowhere.

‘So Vera, I was hoping we could talk’.

My inner wolf was now listening intently, only choosing now to care what my mate had to say, to be honest I don’t think neither of us knew what it meant to have a mate.

Saying nothing, I waited for Cody to continue, knowing he would, regardless of what I thought.

‘I may have been doing a bit of digging last night, after you fell asleep, trying to figure out where you come from since you obviously don’t want to part with that information anytime soon’.

This couldn’t be good; he was going to figure it out……….

‘Unfortunately I came unstuck though, the moment I saw you yesterday, I just knew you come from a pack, you had to.  So I did some calling around to other packs and I managed to follow your trail back north; apparently you’ve visited quite a few packs in your time…………..’

He was on the money there, Crescent Pack had been based near Yellowknife, living on the edge of human civilisation; I didn’t know where I was now but I knew with the way Cody was going, he’d figure it out.

‘Vera; I don’t care where you’ve come from or what you’ve done, I just want you to be mine; we’re mates remember, fate has brought us together and so far you’ve resisted me since coming here’.