Chapter 10, The Strange Stench

Chapter 10

 You’ve got no hope old man’.

Going for this run had really loosened me up, following the trail; Burt was actually keeping up fairly well as I jumped over fallen trees and sprinted across the flat sections.

Don’t brag until the race is over Vera’.

There were a few hairy sections where Burt would shoot past, where I was unsure of my footing, slowing down considerably.

Now coming up to another mountain type formation; throwing my weight at the rock, my claws gripped into the sandy surface, I struggled to pull myself over at pace, whilst Burt effortlessly placed his paws where previous wolves had been. 

Throwing his weight over the peak, my wolf followed in stride; now seeing a long stretch of flat track as Burt spoke in my mind.

‘Last stretch Vera; show me what you can do’.

Stretching out my legs, I pushed off the ground with force, my stride matching Burt’s as I levelled up next to him, seeing him not even concerned by my sudden catch up.

Beginning to feel the distance we had travelled, I tried not to let out a huff as I felt Burt’s eyes now looking at me knowingly.

Getting tired are we Vera’?

Burt barely looked worked, his wolf still running in a flowing motion; barely roused by the steep slopes we had climbed on the way here.

Choosing not to answer Burt, I pushed on, now seeing that I couldn’t gain much more ground on Burt as I had before; he somehow knew I would tire considerably climbing those mountains and was now using it to his advantage, holding his energy back until now.

Keeping up with Burt as the monument was in sight; my nostrils caught the scent of an unfamiliar wolf, making my wolf screech to a halt.

‘Vera, what is it’?

Burt stopping also, turning to look at me confused; he soon discovered the scent that had me stopped as my wolf was howling at me to run back to Cody before the scent grew stronger.

Looking around frantically, I hunched down low; growling menacingly; knowing someone was coming for us and he wasn’t a friend.

‘Something’s wrong’.

Burt stepping in front of me, he obviously thought it better to protect me, being Luna and all I suppose I wasn’t meant to get into situations like this.

Just as I had found the scent, the smell was now gone as I now detected another wolf coming towards us; the scent registering on my nostrils as Gerald.

Now panting tiredly, trying to get my exhaustion off my chest as Gerald came into view; I still hunched over guarded as Burt moved away from me, his guard now falling.

‘It’s just Gerald; he must be coming back from a patrol’.

Snapping my teeth at Gerald; he walked over in a friendly manner; his wolf’s coat dancing off the reflective sun.

Him and Burt exchanged a look, obviously talking through their mind link before Gerald turned to me, looking a little more guarded than he did to Burt.

You need to get back to the feast, there is a rogue out here tracking; I couldn’t give a rat’s ass right now if you like me or not’!

Still growling lowly at Gerald; Burt nudged me in the side as we turned to jog back, my eyes locked onto Gerald’s for a little longer before we disappeared from view.