Chapter 13

Chapter 13

 (The Hidden door in Royce's office---->)

*Warning Nosebleed, there is no need for me to say anything else.*

  For what must have been the hundredth time since I placed this sleeping Angel on my bed, I brushed his curls off his forehead and just marveled at his beauty. Even with all the weight he had lost, he was simply perfect and he was finally mine. Words couldn’t even begin to express the euphoria that I was feeling.  I had managed to get him to eat at least half his dinner and God, every time I watched his pretty pink lips slide over the prongs of the fork, I willed myself not to get hard down there.

 It was approaching lights out and I was expecting one or all of my good Nurses to come back in here to check on Royce. They were just as worried as I was when we saw how haggard he looked and I felt a pang of guilt shimmer through me. It had hurt my feelings when he had put a stop to everything in his office the other day. And at that time it was all I could think about and I had heard his reasoning’s behind his decision, but I was more focused on his reluctance to explore a romantic relationship with me. And out of selfishness, I had refused to see him over the last few weeks not realizing that the situation was just as hard for him as it has been for me.

  He was currently lying on his side facing me as I was facing him. Even in his sleep his smaller hand kept a tight grip on mine, and every time I tried get up or I shifted around his grip just got tighter until I went completely still again. So, I just laid here and inhaled his sunshine and citrus scent with every breath that I took.

 It wasn’t long after lights out that I heard a gentle tap on my door; I didn’t want to call out and risk waking Royce out of his much needed sleep, so I remained quiet in hopes that whoever it was would just pop their head inside to see for themselves that he was resting.

 The lock disengaged and Flora took a tentative peek into the darkened room. She spied Royce’s sleeping form beside me and she quietly pushed the door open just enough for her to slip inside and then she closed it behind her. “How is he?” She whispered as she came closer to the bed.

 “He is exhausted, but at least he ate and now I hope he sleeps through the night.” I answered her just as quietly.

 She gave Royce a good once over glance before she nodded and said that she would see us in the morning and that Richard was on call tonight if we needed anything at all. And with a final wink, she left just as quietly as she came. After a few more minutes, I could feel my own eyes begin to droop. So I pulled the covers closer to over our bodies and I slid across the sheets and took him into my arms.  I snuggled him into my chest with his head resting under my chin.

 Sunlight cut a path across the bed the next time I opened my eyes and I groaned and closed them again to block out the bright rays. I was ready to do a full body stretch until my arms brushed something really soft and warm curled up underneath my side. I looked down and smiled at the sight of Royce huddled in a tight ball lying almost completely underneath me. I spied the tangled blankets that were twisted around my legs and realized that I was a blanket hog, and that he was just trying to get warm after I literally rolled the blankets off of him.

 As gently as I could I unwrapped the blankets from my body and tucked him securely into them and I quietly made the attempt to scoot myself off of the bed without waking him. He didn’t move a muscle through all of this and that was a testimony of just how tired he truly was. I made sure that he was comfortable before walking over to the dresser to retrieve clean underwear and another pair of scrubs.