Beginnings

"Mom!" I called, hoping she could hear me downstairs. "Where is my bed frame at?"
 I really hated moving, but it was even worse when you moved from a big city to a small town 2,386 miles away in a large U-Haul. We had been trapped in that oversized snail for three days and I was ready to sleep in my own bed.

     "It's still in the truck!" She called back, sounding like she was struggling. "It's in the back, I have to unpack everything else before getting to it!"

     "Well could you hurry up?" I asked, unloading my clothes into my new, smaller closet.

     I heard something heavy fall, then she stormed up the stairs. "You know this would go faster if you would help me with this, right?" She raised her eyebrows, waiting for a response.

     "I am unpacking!" I protested, grabbing more hangers and placing my shirts on them.

     "Your boxes can sit in here until tonight. We need to unload the truck and return it." She came over and snatched my clothes from me. "I am already paying close to $275 for the damn thing, so unless you want to pay for another day..."

     I groaned and stomped as I followed her outside, she walked up the ramp and into the truck, the beckoned for me to follow. "Ready?" She asked as she grabbed the end of her oak dresser. I grunted in response and lifted along with her. The dresser was much heavier than expected, but we could carry it together pretty well. Well, until we made it to the narrow stairs which led to the bedrooms. I went first, going up backwards and my mom was on the bottom. She lifted it higher and we made it halfway up the stairs before my phone vibrated in my back pocket.

     "What?!" I jumped, confused. This sent my mother off balance and she dropped her end. Adrenaline coarsed through my system and I held my end up as she picked her end back up.

     "What the hell was that?" She snapped as we scurried up the rest of the stairs.

     "My phone went off." I explained, bashful. "It startled me."

     She shook her head as we turned and made it into her room. We placed the dresser on the floor and Mom sighed, one of the legs on the dresser had broken off. I wasn't paying attention though, I pulled out my white HTC One and checked my messages.

Veronica: Hey babes, have you made it yet????

Erin: Made it an hour ago. The wicked witch is making me help unpack everything.

Veronica: Help her out! You both just lost your dad.

Erin: SMH, he left. It's different.

     "Erin!" My mother snapped. "Are you even listening?"

     "Yes!" I snapped back.

     "Then what did I say?"

     I thought for a moment, then shrugged.

     "My grandmother gave me that dresser." She glared at me. "It's an antique. It's going to cost so much to get it fixed." She frowned, then checked the bottom. "And it's cracked."

     "Just glue the leg back on." I shrugged, checking Facebook. "Not that hard."

      She snatched my phone from me, placing it in her back pocket. "You can have that back when the truck is empty."

     "Can I at least have it for music?" I groaned. "Please?"
      "Nope." She smirked. "But you can use your iPod. You have music on that, right?"

     I groaned and stared her down for a moment. When I saw she wasn't budging, I stomped my foot and shuffled to my room. I rummaged through a few bags until I found my old purple iPod Shuffle. I grabbed my headphone out of my pocket and plugged them in. I turned it on and pressed play. "Advice" By Christina Grimmie came on. I smiled and decided to leave it on. I hadn't heard it in a while and it used to be my favorite song. Clipping it on my pants, I made my way out to the truck. Mom had already grabbed another box or two while I was finding my iPod so I grabbed three of the, stacked up. I placed them in the living room and went back for more.

     After about two hours, everything was out of the truck and in the living room. I sighed and sat down on the couch, proud of myself. "Okay," My mother said behind me. "I am going to return the truck, will you be okay here by yourself until I am back?"

     "I guess." I said, looking up at her. "Can I have my phone now?"

     She rolled her eyes, but handed it to me. "I'll also pick up food. I'll be back later." She shut the door behind her. I waited until the truck pulled away then checked my phone.

Veronica: I know, and I am sorry, still help.

Veronica: Babes, you mad?

Veronica: Babes?

Veronica: Well your mom probably has your phone so just text me whenever you get it back. Loves! <3

Erin: Hey babes, got it back. Wicked witch is returning truck & I am going to set my room up.

Veronica: You're alive! Lol videochat me!

Erin: Can't, no wifi yet, and almost used all of my data.

Veronica: Awww :(

Erin: I can just call you.

Veronica: Ewww, thats for old ppl.

Erin: Too bad.

     I pressed the phone icon and then put it on speakerphone. "Babes!" Veronica cried. "I feel old!"

     "Too bad.  I need my hands free to move stuff." I placed my phone in my tank top strap and picked up a box of mine. "I was so tired of the old truck."

     "Well you made it. How does your new house look?" She asked, sounding excited.

     "Its tiny." I groaned. "I don't even have a walk in closet anymore. I don't know if my clothes will fit. Plus my bed may take up a lot of the room."

     "Your bed is huge." She pointed out. "And the income has been split in half so of course it will be smaller." I frowned and placed the box on my floor. I then walked back downstairs and repeated the process. "At least school should be good."

     "Maybe I'll go to a boys and girls private school instead of all girls." I imagined it. Me  in a cute uniform and a cute boy with brown hair and green eyes sitting next to me in math class. "It's about time I met a boy."

     "You're only 15." Veronica pointed out.

     "Says the one who has a secret girlfriend." I snapped, throwing a box into my room.

     "Could you say that any louder? I don't think the state heard you." She snapped. "And Monica and I are going through a rough patch, okay?"

     "Sorry." I sighed. "It's just a lot to take in."

     "I know babes, but it'll get better, okay? I have to go, but text me later." With that the line went dead.