He Likes You!

The weekend came and went quickly, and before I knew it, it was Monday once again, well 12:01am on Monday. I was curious so I took out the packet that Mr.Jameson gave me. It was about thirty-five pages thick and double sided. I groaned and noticed the first subject: Civil War Era. I put my music on, and placed my headphones in my ears and smiled as a 'Radioactive' cover came on. I grabbed a purple pencil and began answering the questions.

1: How did the Civil War start?

     "The war began when the Confederates bombarded Union soldiers at Fort Sumter , South Carolina on April 12, 1861.This war would last until Spring, 1865."

2: How many Union Soldiers served in the Civil War?

          Approx. 2,150,000

3: How many Confederate soldiers?

     Approx. 1,083,000

4: Which state was first to secede from the Union?

     The first state was South Carolina in December of 1860, followed by Mississippi, then Florida.

5: Why were the states seceding?

     They were unhappy with the new president, Mr. Lincoln, and how he believe that slavery should be contained to where it was right then. They  decided to cut all ties with the union and send ambassadors to the other southern states to get them to join in seceding.

     I kept answering questions until I was halfway through the next page, then closed it and went to sleep. I woke up to my alarm blaring and me cursing as I realized that I was running late. I made it downstairs where my mother was sitting on the couch. "Why are you here?" I asked, trying to get my strappy heels on without falling on my face.  (http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=206709251)

     "Got off early." She answered, glaring at my tone. She was working graveyards at the local hospital as a nurse. Normally she worked from midnight to 8am. "Why aren't you at the bus stop?" She demanded, shaking her head.

     "Its difficult getting used to the new schedule." I gripped, finally getting my shoes on. I grabbed my bag, opened the door, and saw the bus pulling away from the stop. "Mom, I just missed the bus." I groaned.

     "Really?" She snapped. "Fine, I'll drive you to school." She came over and brushed past me.

     "Whats your issue this morning?" I asked, annoyed by her attitude.

     If looks could kill, this one would have shot me with a minigun, then stabbed me multiple times in the face. I held my tongue and got in the car. She started it and we made our way to the school. She stopped and grabbed me a breakfast sandwich and then dropped me off in the front parking lot. I ran up to the school just as the bell rang. I wasn't sure if it was the tardy bell or the normal bell so I ran as fast as I could towards my homeroom.

***

     I flung the door open and stepped inside just as the second bell rang. I didn't make eye contact with anyone as I made my way to my seat. I opened my book and attempted to tune into Mr. Jameson's lecture, but couldn't. My mind just kept wandering. Before I knew it, it was the end of the day once again. There were only four other kids in my study hall, we had 2 cheerleaders, one football player and one band member. That day they all got called out to prepare for the first football game of the season. I barely noticed their absence as I continued working on the large packet.

     I got about three more pages done before I heard a cough above me. "What are you working on?" Mr. Jameson asked, sitting in the desk next to me.

     "Your packet." I said, looking back down and writing more in.

     He peeked over. "You already finished the Civil War section?"

     "Yeah, I'm on World War 1 now." I leaned down and kept writing.

     "How do you know so much about it already?" He asked, leaning towards me.

     "I'm a history buff." I answered, shrugging. "I enjoy learning about the past." Just then the bell rang. I placed the packet in my backpack and stood. "I'll see you tomorrow." I told him.

     "Don't be late." He smiled.

     I felt his eyes follow me as I left the room.

***

     "Oh my god!" Eva screeched as I told her what happened in study hall. "He likes you!"

     "He's a teacher, and so much older than me." I said, making a face.

     "He is only 22." She smiled. "He graduated early, got his degree and started in the middle of last year!"

     "And I'm 15." I said, making another face. "I may not be a genius, but I can do the math. That's 7 years."

     "When is your birthday?" She asked.

     "October 30th." I answered.

     "So you'll be 16 soon!" She squealed. "That isn't too much of an age difference."

     I shrugged, knowing I'd get no where with her. "Whatever." I said, putting both headphones in and just waiting for our stop to come up. Once it finally did. I went inside and saw my mother asleep on the couch. "Hey." I said, poking her foot. "Can you take me out driving?"

     "We haven't switched your permit over yet." She said sleepily. "It's illegal." 

     I groaned, "Whatever." Then stomped up the stairs. I got my phone out and logged onto Facebook. I saw that my newest picture had 14 likes and frowned. Normally I had at least 40. I groaned and walked over to my closet. I frowned and grabbed my black crop top, shorts and purple hair dye. I ran into the bathroom and did a purple ombre, then did a half up half down fishtail braid. I then got dressed and tossed on some spiked heels. Looking in the mirror, I decided on a sparkly back eye with pouty red lips. I did my makeup and moved over by my window, opening the curtain.

     I held my phone up and took many selfies before I was satisfied. I then took a couple body shots in the mirror, sucking in my stomach while still trying to smile. Once I was satisfied with all of the photos, I placed a filter over the best ones and posted them online. I sat back and watched as my phone kept dinging, 1 like....10 likes...15 likes... then 'Veronica Schneider commented on your photo.'

Veronica Schneider: Wow Babes, looking good!

 I smiled and put the phone down as I decided to go out. I was going to change, but changed my mind. I grabbed my phone, then tiptoed down the stairs, grabbed the keys off of the rack and got into my mom's car. I backed out, and went on my way.