Friends

"I heard you made Mr. Jameson write in sharpie during class." Eva said, running up to me. It was lunch and my other classes went along normally. "Nice way to start your Sophmore year."

     "I didn't make him do anything." I made a sour face. "I actually feel kind of bad. First I was late, then I used a sharpie in class, then he used it."

     "Well Blake told me that you also know your history." Eva gushed, clutching my arm as if I had been her friend for years.

     "Blake?" I questioned.

     "He was the guy in front of you." She smiled. "Blonde hair, blue eyes, killer smile."

     "You have a thing for him!" I accused. Jumping away from her and looking her in the eyes.

     She smiled. "Well I hope so, considering that he is my boyfriend."

     "Really?" I felt my eyes go wide. "How long have you been together?"

     "Since the end of last year." She answered, blushing. "He asked me to the Senior Farewell dance and we have been together since." We made it to the cafeteria at that moment. "What do you like to eat?"

     "Steak." I answered. "Or maybe a double cheeseburger with french fries." 

     Eva was looking at me like I was crazy. "You're kidding, right?"

     "No, why?" I asked, opening the door.

     "Today you have three choices, pizza flavored cardboard, mystery meat sandwich or a stale salad." She smiled deviously. We walked up to the lunch line and I frowned as I saw she was telling the truth.

     "Where's the steak? Cheeseburgers? Tuna Salad?" I felt tears forming. "This is really what you eat?"

     "Yep. Since Kindergarten." She smiled and grabbed a tray. She thought for a moment, then grabbed their version of a cheeseburger. I followed suit and we went to an empty table. As soon as we sat down, Blake sat on the other side of Eva. "Hey." She leaned in and kissed him quickly.

     "Hey," He replied. "And hello to you Erin," He smiled. "From what I've heard Mr. Jameson still doesn't have a clean board."

     "And I still feel bad." I sighed as anther person sat down.

     "Hey Steve." Blake said, reaching across the table and doing an odd handshake. "What's up?"

     "Not much. Stella and I are still having issues." He put his head down on the table. "If only I knew what was wrong now." He lifted his head up. "Hello you." He flashed a smile at me. "You're that new kid, Erica, right?"

     "Erin." I corrected. "And you're Steve."

     "Steve I am." He said, trying to be funny.

     "Hardy har." Blake said stiffly. "Where is Stella anyways?"

     "Off with her friends." He sighed. "She really is done with me." He grabbed his pizza and took a bite. "Maybe it's for the best."

     "How long have you been together?" I asked.

     "Three years. We got together freshman year." He said. "Well we got it on freshman year."

     "So you're Juniors?" I asked, surprised.

     "Yep." He took a sip of his chocolate milk. "And honestly the only difference is better lockers."