Caught

"What the hell happened?" I demanded into the phone. I had called Leon right after I listened to the voicemail. "The last thing I remember was us drinking at the Stray Dog. Then I wake up on the front lawn outside of my house?"

     "What?" He said, sounding concerned. "I have no idea why you were there. I tried to take you home after you asked me too, but you went off on me, so the bartender called a cab." He sighed and I heard the distaste in his voice.

     I frowned, then what was that voicemail about? I was about to mention it, but I thought better of it. "What time was the cab called?" I questioned.

     He huffed. "3:30?"

    I hung up. He was lying, he had to be. Unless... I pulled out my phone and called the pub. "Hello?" Someone said on the other end of the line.

     "Hi, umm can you tell me if a cab was called last night? Well technically this morning?"

     "I'm sorry, I just started this shift. You'd have to talk to the bar tender from last night." I heard some papers move around. "Jensen was working last night. His next shift is at midnight tonight. Call back then and I'm sure he can tell you."

     "Okay, thank you." I said, then hung up the phone. What was I going to do? What happened last night?

***

     I talked to Jensen and he did say that a cab was called at about that time, but he doesn't know if Leon got into the cab with me or not. He's not allowed to go outside while on his shift and Leon did walk me out, but he didn't come back. I thanked him and sat down on my bed. Leon had been trying to call me all day, but I haven't answered any of the phone calls.

     I had to figure out what had happened, and with what seems to have happened, is so horrible I don't even want to think about it. I took out my phone and dialed Eva's number. It rang four times before she picked up. "Hello?" She said, sounded dazed.

      "Hey, what's wrong?" I asked.

     "Nothing, don't worry about it, why are you calling?" She asked, sounding worried.

     "I have an issue I need help with."

***

     She told me to meet her at her house and I was there soon after. I played the voicemail for her and explained what I remembered form the night before, although I still didn't tell her who I had seen. She looked very troubled as she opened her mouth. "I think you need to talk to your mother." 

     "No, she'd kill me."  I said, holding up my hands. "I need to find out what happened before telling her."

     Eva began, "But what if-"

     I shook my head. "No, his story stills holds up for now."

     She frowns. "No, it doesn't. It makes no sense and goes against all logic."

     I get up off the couch and begin walking to the door. "No, it doesn't." He couldn't have... could he?

     Eva followed me. "Please, talk to your mother. If you don't I will."

     "You don't even know who he is." I snapped. "He hasn't beaten on me or  said anything remotely mean to me, unlike you and Blake." I frowned, but continued. "Please, enlighten me on how to have a GREAT relationship because you know so well."

     "Leave." She said, opening the door. I walked out and kept my head held high. What did she know?

***

Reflection

I wish that I could change what I said to her. I wish I knew the entire story and I wish I hadn't been so full of pride. But I can't change the past, only the future.

***

     I went to school on Monday as normal. Eva wasn't at the bus stop, but I ignored it, she probably had her mother give her a ride to avoid me. I still hadn't spoken to Leon, but I knew he would try to say something to me today. I had picked some discreet clothing, and tried to keep to myself. I snaked my earbuds through my sweatshirt and blasted Imagine Dragon's album Night Visions. I climbed onto the bus, sat alone, and trudged into class.

     I sat down just as the bell rang and felt my phone go off.

Leon: When will you talk to me?

     I ignored his text and began writing in my notebook. When he noticed me ignoring him, he texted me once again.

Leon: Talk to me.

     I turned off my phone and continued with my class work. "Ms. Stanford?" He asked, "Please come to my desk, I have a question about your packet."

     I sighed and walked to the front of the class. Why is he being so childish? I pondered. Once I made it to the desk, He whispered. "Why are you ignoring me?"

     "Why are you being so childish?" I demanded, not bothering to keep my voice down.

     "Keep it down!" He stage-whispered. "Are you still made about this weekend?"

     "Why wouldn't I be?" I shouted. "I was left on my front lawn after blacking out!" I felt the entire class looking at me. I turned, and faced them all and then stormed out of the room.

     "What the hell was that!?" Leon bellowed, as I heard the classroom door slammed. "What the hell?" I heard him come up behind me. "Erin, why-" I turned around and smacked him across the face. He grabbed my arms and shook me. "What is wrong  with you? Why did you do that?" I heard a collective gasp. I looked over and saw that the whole class had filed out and witnessed the shaking. A few already had their phones out and were recording the fiasco.

     "Get back in the classroom." Leon bellowed, releasing me, then pointing to the classroom. They all scuttled back inside, and he turned to me, "Get back to class. We will discuss this later."

     I turned and began walking away from him when he grabbed me once again. I whipped around, balled my fist and punched him square in the nose. He jumped back as blood gushed from his nose. "You little bitch." He growled, grabbing me by the hair. "Why can't you-"

     "MR. JAMESON." The principal, Mr. Croft boomed. "Release Ms. Stanford right now!" The school's resource officer ran up to us. Leon released me and put his hands above his head.

     What the heck just happened?