Chapter 2: Raving Thoughts

My trembling fingers pushed the double doors open and a wave of fresh air rocked me where I stood. I blinked to adjust to the rays of sunlight. As much as I tried to shake what that hag just said to me, most of it kept replaying in my head. It was painful almost. I felt as if I was in an electric chair and she had the power to send currents of static through my limbs. I lost it.

Goosebumps rose on my skin as tried to calm myself, raking furious hands through my knotted hair. I glanced around, but the streets were bare except for a few stragglers who paid me no mind. The matrix of their phones mesmerized them.

My lips quivered and trembled, and I had to bite down on them to halt their uncontrollable quaking. I tugged at the roots of my hair as I balled my hands into fists.

Screwed up mindset? No... I don't have a screwed up mindset. She thinks I want my mind to function the way it does? Do they think I want to act the way I act? No...they made me. The damn world made me!

If only the world wasn't so unfair...I'd live a life free of suffering and pain...free of cowering down to fear...free of giving into the recurring memories that haunt my guilt...

I wanted to hurl out the scream that made its way to the base of my throat.

Suddenly, I was back there and the loud honking and screeching of tires roared through my ears, igniting the tears and piercing scream within me. My neck snapped from left to right, terrified to my very core, and in panic, I threw my arms over my head for protection. There was no use.

I began screaming with undeniable volumes and I wanted to get out. Someone had to take me out.

"Hey! Hey, are you okay?"

I jumped back, startled by the woman who laid her hands on my shoulders.

How troublesome was I... I must have looked deranged in her eyes. Yet she was bold enough to approach a mental stranger.

Humanity probably wasn't hopeless after all.

But I didn't bother answering her; I only rushed away from her and toward my bike to free it from its chains.

With rough fingers, I erased the wet stains from my cheeks and blinked hard to clear my blurry vision. The lump in my throat was dispersing and I discretely looked over my right shoulder to see I had drawn a crowd of nosey pedestrians.

I looked down at my handles and grasped them with my hands for a quick second, inhaling and shutting my teary eyes.

It's okay. I'll be fine. I'll be okay.

Fastening the helmet in my head, I settled myself on the seat and prepared for the hour and a half ride home.

~*~

Thanks for reading! God bless!