Chapter 25: Opening Up

Author's note: Things in italic are from the past.

~*~

I couldn't believe I was actually doing this.

As I pedaled down the street, I saw I was nearing the bridge, with Carter slowly tailing me in his car. I braked and walked beside my bike, leaning it up against the rails. Carter briefly joined at my side, taking the scenery in.

"Why here?" He questioned, his eyes scanning over what lay in front of him before settling on me.

"Because a few months ago, I almost jumped."

Except for the light stir of the wind, there was no noise, especially between us. I couldn't face him. My feet slowly carried me toward the edge and I rested my palms on the bars. Glancing down at the water, I felt my stomach collapse.

"I can't even swim."

I heard the sharp intake from Carter and noticed how tense he had gotten. He walked up beside me, mimicking my position and cocked his head in my direction. His eyes were shimmering gold, peering into me and questioning me. The tone of his voice remained cool, calm, and collected as he asked, "What happened a few months ago?"

And in an instant, I felt my eyes well up with tears and they fell, betraying me. "My mother died....my mother died and it was all my fault."

It was a new day. The birds were chirping, the sun was shining, and I felt good.

There was a knock at my door a few moments later.

"Naomi, are you up? Wake up honey, remember we're supposed to be going to the beach today."

Oh right, it was summer. No school, no work, no responsibilities. Just fun with family and friends.

"Alright I'm up! Give me like 30 minutes to get ready."

"15! Hurry up! Breakfast will be ready by the time you get downstairs."

My mom was always running fast pace in life. Everything had to be done quick and now. Everything was important, nothing could wait. I admired her for that, but when I was getting ready, it was the most annoying thing on Earth.

I quickly got myself together and gathered my valuables before racing downstairs. Breakfast smelled delicious. I smiled into the room as my eyes took in a lovely sight. My mother snuggling up against Dad. I would've feigned disgust on a regular day, but it made me happy to see them happy, so I let them enjoy their moment before barging in.

"You guys done?" I chuckled as I stole a piece of toast from his plate.

"Naomi, you have your own plate you know." Henry sighed, but it was playful.

"I know, but there's no fun in that." Cheesing so the corner of lips reached my ears, I laughed and gave him a hug. "Morning Dad."

"Good morning pumpkin." He planted a kiss on my forehead and rubbed my arm.

"Why aren't you ready? You know we're going to the beach today right?"

"Yes, but I have the men's conference to go to for the church. I'll be there for about an hour and I'll meet you guys later okay?"

"Sounds good." It must have been that new church he found that he couldn't stop raving about. I was supposed to go with them to a service soon, but I hated waking up early and missed the opportunity each week. 

My mother patted me on the shoulder. "Alright, I'm waiting in the car. Bye honey." She gives Henry one last kiss before she walks out the door. I scarf down another piece of toast.