Chapter 11: Consideration

Friday came. I thought about it.

As the afternoon sun rose to its highest point, rays peaked through the window blinds and streaked patterns onto the carpeted floor.

What was wrong with me? Was I actually considering this offer?

His voice rung through my ears in an instant and my heart hardened.

Avery, let it go. She won't attend. Leave her alone.

Who was he to say that I wouldn't go?

With a grieved sigh, I stepped into the bathroom and showered, nesting my nerves for a moment. The water felt nice in between my curled roots and hot against my skin. It put me at ease and for a brief second in time, I forgot about my troubles. They always seemed to haunt me, even in my sleep.

An hour passed. Maybe more, but I didn't care. I didn't want to care.

The hot water was starting to shifting in temperature and I stepped out, drying myself before settling for something casual.

Once comfortable in my black crew neck and a pair of jeans, I tamed my hair with a comb. The wild lion mane reached past my shoulders with natural warped curls framing my heart-shaped face. I blinked at myself in the mirror, dull brown eyes masked with confusion and sorrow. My full lips were trembling before I bit down hard.

The sunlight fought its way through the blinds and hit me in the face, changing a streak of my black hair to a light brown and illuminating my chocolate skin. I snarled and raced over to the window, fiercely shutting the curtain and hiding myself away.

It was five o'clock.

"Naomi, are you going to youth group tonight?" Henry called and my heart raced.

I was torn, and I didn't know why, I didn't know how.

You should come to youth group this Friday.

She's lost in her ways, let her be.

My grip on my pillow tightened as his words stabbed at my chest. Was he intentionally trying to hurt me? He didn't even know me; he didn't know what I went through so he couldn't judge me.

"Naomi?"

I inhaled with a sharp breath and opened the door.

~*~

Thanks for reading! God bless!