Chapter 1

Important Author's Note

This book contains mature content and material that some readers may find offensive. 

This means, blood and gore, intense violence, strong language, mature humor, strong sexual content and the use of drugs and alcohol.

Read at your own risk. Thank you!

________________________________________________________

Harley

"Welcome to Arkham Asylum" a feminine voice said.

I glanced up to see a tall and tanned woman appear from around the corner from where I was sitting in the waiting room.

"Harleen Quinzel? I'm Joan Leland"

"Hi Joan, call me Harley. Everyone does." I said as I stood up to shake her hand. 

She turned to lead me down the corridor where we passed through the security check. With the scan of her ID card we walked through without even a glance from the two guards on duty. 

The corridors had tall ceilings and the whole asylum was dark and gloomy.  

"I must admit I was surprised you wanted to intern here at Arkham. Anyone who had gone through med school with your  high grades.... could've written her ticket anywhere" Joan admitted.

Why did she choose Arkham Asylum out of all the places she could have gone? She didn't exactly know but, the patients at Arkham Asylum were considered broken and unfixable but to her that was just a big fat challenge. The criminal mind had always fascinated her, even from a young age. But something had always deeply intrigued her about this ancient asylum, maybe it was the eerie reputation, or the many the infamous patients Arkham's walls held captive, either way she was going to find out.

Dr. Leland now lead Harley through a stairwell, walking down three flights of stairs to more corridors below.

"Yes, well... I have always had this attraction for extreme personalities. They're more exciting, more challenging-" Harley explained with her New York accent.

"And high profile" Joan interrupted looking at her with one raised brow.

Joan typed in a 6-digit code before the door opened revealing another corridor. They were now at the end of the long hallway walking through a large steel door guarded by four men in heavy uniform, they now walked into one of the many long corridors that held the patients of Arkham Asylum.

"You can't deny there's an element of glamour to these super-criminals" Harley confessed gesturing to one of the cells, which held a patient who was currently licking the thick glass wall separating him from Harley.

"I'll warn you right now: these are hard-core psychotics"  she said pointing at another patient, a large man yelling at them as they walked by. 

"They'd just as soon kill you as look at you" Joan warned sternly.

"If your thinking of cashing in on them..."

They kept walking, nearing the end of the corridor. But Harley wasn't listening, something to her right caught her eye.

 "or writing a tell-all book...."

And there he was.

 "Think again." Joan ordered.

She was already walking up the the glass before Dr.Leland could finish her sentence.

The Joker. The infamous clown prince of crime.

"They'd eat a novice like you for breakfast"

He was already looking at her before she reached his cell. His blank expression slowly crept into an eerie smile flashing his metal grill as he winked at her through the thick glass. His messy hair was almost neon green in color, and his snow white skin was covered in tattoos poking up from his grey jumpsuit.

"Understand Harley?" Joan asked.

She couldn't explain it. She was immediately smitten. 

Harley felt her cheeks warm as she sheepishly smiled back.

"Oh! Absolutely!" Harley chirped. 

 He was even more fascinating in person. One of the most wicked minds hid behind those eyes. She had to know more about him. She couldn't help but admit to herself that despite his crazy appearance, she found him attractive. But before she turned away she saw something flash in his ice blue eyes... wonder? Delight? amusement? She would have to think about it later. 

***

After the first few days of working as an intern at Arkham Asylum, Harleen Quinzel quite enjoyed her new job. She had spent her days researching legal cases for some of the more minor patients and even doing a few client interviews. 

Harley was given her own office on the third floor of the asylum over-looking the gloomy terrain. The asylum was quite a drive from her apartment in Gotham, yet alone any civilization.  She spent most of her work days in her office working on her computer, which was also provided by the asylum. 

But there was one thing that bothered Harley since her tour with Dr. Joan Leland. She couldn't get the picture of the Joker's infamous smile out of her head. Any normal person might have been scared but it only made Harley more curious. She noticed something when studying the security footage, when the patients were together they would talk, rant and mingle, but for the one on one, she noticed they didn't trust anyone on staff. And for good reason. 

The Joker carried himself like an exiled prince and spoke to no one unless he had to. Like he was hiding something, a secret nobody else could know. Part of their program was a heavy dose of medication, which dulls their senses and can cause paranoia. But Harleen learned quickly that the Joker didn't seem affect by the medication he should have been receiving. It was likely he wasn't taking any at all.

Later that evening, Harley worked a bit later interviewing a patient who ended up not saying a word to her. She eventually gave up and walked back to her office folders in hand. She opened her office door and put her purse down on her chair not bothering to turn on the lights.  She unbound her blonde hair as she walked to her desk. She couldn't wait to get home and take off this uncomfortable skirt suit and-

She noticed a single red rose sitting is a glass vase on the edge of her desk, glowing in the moonlight shining from her office window. 

She placed her folders down and took off her glasses to read the small note attached to the rose with a string.

It read "Come down and see me sometime -J."

She couldn't believe this, it had to be some kind of joke. How would he even pull something off like this? Was he really that manipulative that he got one of the guards to place it here?

She picked up the rose and brought the flower to her nose and inhaled deeply, closing her eyes. She did love roses.

Looks like it's time to pay the Joker a visit.

 ________________________________________________________  

Book Guide

Italics = Character's thoughts

Bold= Author's note

*** = Change in time

___= Change in character POV