Chapter 3

Harley

"Doctor  Quinzel, how lovely of you to stop by." the Joker drawled out while he flashed a wicked smile, his head still lowered toward the floor.

Harley walked over to the metal table in the center of the room, the only sounds echoing in the room were her heels clicking against the floor and the almost silent squeak of the ceiling fan above them. 

"Today we are going ta be doing your psychiatric evaluation" Harley reported ignoring his greeting  as she sat down in the chair across from him.

The criminal lifted his head to look at her as she pulled her chair closer to the table and opened her notebook. He met her gaze as she lifted her head.

 He was crazy yes, but right now he was not the insane clown he wanted the world to believe he was. There was a method to his madness and she knew it despite what everyone else thought. She found him truly fascinating and she wanted to know everything about man behind the clown.

"Took a look at your file. The beatings by your fatha', the abandonment by your motha',  the failed criminal career and then your little accident" she recalled adjusting her glasses and not breaking his stare.

She had figured out that the "damaged" tattoo on the Joker's forehead was a message to his arch nemesis, Batman, for knocking out his teeth and scarring his face.

"All the building blocks to your psychosis and murderous mind" she went on.

"But we both know it's all a load of bull, don't we Mista' Joker?" she asked crossing her arms and leaning back in her chair.

"Oohhh!..Do tell" Joker mussed in his low husky voice.

"And please call me Mr.J, all my friends do." he insisted as he gave her a toothy smile.

A friend huh? She's never had many friends. No of course he didn't consider her a friend, this was another one of his mind games. He was distracting her.

"It's about control" she stated. 

"Control?" the Joker asked letting out a cackling laugh.

"Yes" Harley emphasized a bit irritated.

"Then you haven't been following my career, pumpkin." he disagreed leaning in to look at her.

She couldn't help but smirk at the name.

"Oh but I have, You're Quite the performa'." Harleen said as she leaned in, the gloomy day shining in through the small barred window in the corner of the room.

"You create mayhem so you can be the eye of the storm, because in that storm everything gets turned upside down but you" she went on.

The Joker stood suddenly from his chair his hands still bound to his side in his straight jacket.

"Hiding behind your madness is control" she claimed staring up at him.

Then he smiled..Not an ordinary smile. Not a smile to make someone laugh with him. No this was "The  Smile." His lips appearing very red against his white skin as the corners of his mouth slid up his face into a vast, deadly rictus, metal teeth flashing. This was a hyean's smile. A smile that could kill.

"The way I see it, you're just a control freak with a sense of humor" 

"Officer Cash, That wont be necessary" she ordered knowing his sudden movement would cause the warden to have his gun ready.

The Joker let out a loud wicked laugh.

 "Ohhhh I like this one!" he proclaimed in a raspy voice.