Chapter 9

Joker

 Mr.J watched in his rear-view mirror as an unmuffled motorcycle speed up from an alleyway cutting off his gang of thugs in the SUV behind him. He let out a loud crackling laugh as he gripped the steering wheel tighter, accepting the challenge. Joker increased his already speeding velocity as he swerved around oncoming cars on the four lane road. 

With a split second to spare he quickly adjusted his rear view mirror to get a glance at the driver of the Harley Davidson trailing behind him.

  "Well, look who it is!" he yelled over the roar of the car's twin turbos.  

He could see Harley's golden blond hair whipping in the wind behind her as she raced up near the bumper of his hot rod. She effortlessly glided between traffic keeping up with his high speed.

 Joker bellowed out another eerie laugh before he cranked the wheel into a hard left and barely slid through the two vehicles ahead. 

She won't last two minutes.

 Then the purple sports car screamed through a red light, nearly wiping out a group of crossing pedestrians, Harley still close behind him.

 They neared the highway as he spotted two vehicles driving side-by-side up ahead. Joker couldn't make it though, so he swerved to the other side of the SUV and jerked the wheel hard right. The Lamborghini launched up onto the sidewalk. Pedestrians scrambled to get out of the way of the speeding car.

Just as he thought he might have lost her, Mr.J heard her roar up behind him on the street. Joker dropped off the sidewalk with a clunk and slammed the gas. The turbos kicked in. He was thrown back into his seat as the city seemed to blur by in streaks of colors.

His tires screeched as he made a hard right around another corner attempting to loose her. He now drove in the outskirts of the city, traveling under the over pass of the main highway. 

Joker could just hear the rumble over the squeal of his tires as he rounded another corner. He watched her through the mirror as she neared the side of his car, then sped up so she was now looking through his car window. He saw the desperation in her face as the wind whipped her long hair behind her.

He sighed, lifting a hand to his forehead and looking back out the windshield, ignoring her silent plea. She let out a loud growl barely audible over his engine before she speed up in front of him into the traffic up ahead.

He let out a low grumble as she gave him one last glance before jolting her arms to the side, causing the motorcycle to fall on its side. Harley hopped up on the side of the bike as sparks flew out from under the vehicle before it came to a scraping halt in the middle of the road.

 Harley got up and stood courageously in the center of the road with her stolen motorcycle now abandoned in the middle of the street. 

Joker rolled his eyes dramatically before coming to a screeching halt almost hitting the unfazed woman before him. Then there was a piercing moment of silence as he beheld the heavy breathing Harley Quinzel shining in his headlights.

"Ah, You." 

The clown prince of crime gave her a wild toothy smile through the windshield then revved his engine loudly as a warning for her to get out of the way.

  "Your not leaving me. Your not leaving me!" she yelled, slamming her hands on the hood, only inches away from his fender.  

 But she just stood there gave him a loony grin and titled her head to the side as if to say 'I dare you'.

He banged his head against the window in frustration then forcefully flung his car door open. He strode over to her leaving the drivers door ajar. 

"Ya' thought you could just use me and run off?" Harley started.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa." the Joker said overlapping her words as he gestured his arms animatedly in the air.

"Who said anything about running off, dearie?" Joker tried to reason.

A black semi-truck pulled up behind them on the one-lane road and started honking his horn for them to move.

"Daddy had some territory he had to reclaim, you see? Being shut away for so long I've lost control of what's mine" Mr.J explained continuing to ignore the angry driver.

 "Then explain why you just dumped me and walked away?" Harley asked ignoring his excuse. 

"Ohh you see? I can't have you running around out there. Representing me. I have a reputation. A brand to protect." Joker revealed as he walked a full circle around her spotting the man get out of his truck with a slam of his door.

"Hey! What the hell-" The man strode over to them with a tire iron in his hand.

 "Can't you see me and the lady are trying to have a-" Joker started as he turned around to confront the man.

He heard and ear piercing bang as Harley shot the man in the head and watched as he fell to the ground. 

"Ohh! So Harley-girl can bite?" He mussed turning back around to face her as she moved the gun to his forehead.

He let out a playful giggle pressing his head into the muzzle of the gun.

"Do it, do it, do it.... You can't, can you?"he taunted gesturing his hands in a beckoning manor.

 "Was any of it real? Did you ever care about me?" she asked her face softening.

"Are you calling me a liar? Of course I did pumpkin, with all my heart. I want you as my ball and chain." Joker admitted giving her a wicked smile.

"Just words. Let's see you prove it." she said not impressed with his performance.

Suddenly he grabbed the gun forcefully from her grasp and placed it on his own temple.

"Prove it? Prove it?" Joker repeated flashing her a grin. 

"I don't have to prove myself to anyone" he said as he lowered the Glock.

Out of no where Joker takes his other hand and backhands Harley across the face leaving her to fall to the ground.

"Maybe it's you who needs to prove something to me, darling." he said flashing her a smile that showed off his metal grill.

"All I wanted ta' do was talk to ya'..." she said holding her face as she sat on the ground.

"You wanna talk? Let's talk." Mr.J said as he stood over her and ran a hand through his hair.

Joker strolled around the side of his car and put a hand on the open door.  

"Get in" He gestured to the vehicle.

Harley hesitantly got up off the ground and straightened her denim shirt as the Joker got in the driver's seat. She walked around the two-seater and got in the passenger's side.

"Where're we going?" Harley asked glancing over at him as he drove.

He looked over at her and gave her an eerie smile.

"Somewhere very special"